Now here's something interesting!

gregintenn

On 10/16/2016 at 11:39 AM, mikegideon said:

Lots of good things can come from necking down a case. The bullet always gets faster.

According to the blurb at the link in the OP:

This caliber is not a necked down version of any other caliber.

Of course that might just be a way of adding further hype for marketing.

On 10/16/2016 at 0:01 PM, dcloudy777 said:

Not terribly hyped about the gun (although the "recoil reduction" stuff might be interesting).

The cartridge, however, could have big potential and a subgun/PDW round.

My first thought was, "Wonder what it would be like in a carbine?"

4 minutes ago, JAB said:

According to the blurb at the link in the OP:

Of course that might just be a way of adding further hype for marketing.

Nothing new under the sun, ya know. I hear you. After reading, there is no parent case, mainly because of the pressure. Hope they find a good market for something so expensive. 

The metallic cartridge has been around for

Just now, mikegideon said:

Nothing new under the sun, ya know. I hear you. After reading, there is no parent case, mainly because of the pressure. Hope they find a good market for something so expensive. 

Yep.  The metallic cartridge has been around for the better part of two centuries now.  Pretty much anything is going to be a de facto version of a necked-down or necked-up something.   

On 10/16/2016 at 5:50 PM, Garufa said:

Has the wheel been reinvented...again?

Folks, we reached the pinnacle of smokeless metallic cartridge design years and years ago.

Phasers, lasers, and rail guns is where it's at now.  Let me know when I can get one. :lol: 

Well, whether or not the cartridge design has peaked my reaction has a much more personal component.  That is as follows:  Regardless of how much velocity/energy this gun might carry at great distances it is still a handgun.  Therefore, the effective range in my hands will be limited to the distances at which I can, personally, be accurate with a handgun.  As much as I would like to believe that I could reliably make 200 yard shots with a handgun I am capable of being honest with myself and saying that - with open sights - 50 yards would a decent sized target would be pushing it.  At 50 yards this thing isn't going to kill anything any more dead than the .44 Magnums I already own and probably won't make anything any deader at 50 yards than my .357 GP100 with the proper ammo - that is if I manage to actually hit something in a vital area at 50 yards with a handgun.  Of course there are pistol scopes but to me if I am going to fool with carrying around something with a scope I would just as soon go with a short rifle and have the benefit of increased stability.  As I said, however, that is just me and my shooting interests/situation.  Now, if I lived in Kodiak/Polar bear country where I might have to fight off an attack by one of those suckers and had the money I'd probably want a double shoulder rig so I could dual-wield them!

Edited by JAB
Just now, dcloudy777 said:

The metallic cartridge has been around for

Yep.  The metallic cartridge has been around for the better part of two centuries now.  Pretty much anything is going to be a de facto version of a necked-down or necked-up something.   

You gotta fit the powder charge behind the projectile somehow. If you get crazy with it (case too small), you may have to design a gun from the ground up to handle the pressure. I wonder how this one compares to a 40 S&W necked down to 7.5 mm. Or, a 10mm. You could wildcat that if you didn't exceed 10mm chamber pressure, and get er done with a barrel. I'm betting the pressure on this one is much higher than a 10mm

3 minutes ago, JAB said:

Well, whether or not the cartridge design has peaked my reaction has a much more personal component.  That is as follows:  Regardless of how much velocity/energy this gun might carry at great distances it is still a handgun.  Therefore, the effective range in my hands will be limited to the distances at which I can, personally, be accurate with a handgun.  As much as I would like to believe that I could reliably make 200 yard shots with a handgun I am capable of being honest with myself and saying that - with open sights - 50 yards would a decent sized target would be pushing it.  At 50 yards this thing isn't going to kill anything any more dead than the .44 Magnums I already own and probably won't make anything any deader at 50 yards than my GP100 with the proper ammo.  Of course there are pistol scopes but to me if I am going to fool with carrying around something with a scope I would just as soon go with a short rifle and have the benefit of increased stability.  As I said, however, that is just me and my shooting interests/situation.

Yep. Bull in the ass at 35 yards. Best I can do :-)

5 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

You gotta fit the powder charge behind the projectile somehow. If you get crazy with it (case too small), you may have to design a gun from the ground up to handle the pressure. I wonder how this one compares to a 40 S&W necked down to 7.5 mm. Or, a 10mm. You could wildcat that if you didn't exceed 10mm chamber pressure, and get er done with a barrel. I'm betting the pressure on this one is much higher than a 10mm

Even though the bullet is smaller with the case head diameter being 10.8mm I first thought along the lines of a '10mm Magnum'.

Edited by JAB
8 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Yep. Bull in the ass at 35 yards. Best I can do :-)

A single panel cartoon just popped into my mind of two guys - one older and one younger - looking at the rear of a bull.  The bull would be looking back at them with a wide-eyed, bewildered look and there would be a paper target hanging on a fence post for the fence that was around the pasture the bull was standing in.  The younger guy would be holding a (smoking) pistol and the older guy would be pointing to the target and saying to the younger guy, "No, dammit.  I said aim for the bulls-eye!"

Of course if this cartridge lives up to it's claims if you shot a bull in the ass at those distances with it you might not end up with a bewildered looking bull.  Instead you might end up with a pile of grilled steaks and hamburgers!

Edited by JAB
4 minutes ago, JAB said:

A single panel cartoon just popped into my mind of two guys - one older and one younger - looking at the rear of a bull.  The bull would be looking back at them with a wide-eyed, bewildered look and there would be a paper target hanging on a fence post for the fence that was around the pasture the bull was standing in.  The younger guy would be holding a (smoking) pistol and the older guy would be pointing to the target and saying to the younger guy, "No, dammit.  I said aim for the bulls-eye!"

Of course if this cartridge lives up to it's claims if you shot a bull in the ass at those distances with it you might not end up with a bewildered looking bull.  Instead you might end up with a pile of grilled steaks and hamburgers!

You can kill a bull with a Ka-bar. You just might get a little skinned up in the process 

• Like 1

.357 Sig is pretty expensive.

5.7x28 is pretty expensive.

It's not better than a rifle.  

It's not better than a rifle cartridge pistol. 

For pure S&G's I say two thumbs up.  

For anything that has to do with serious hunting, self defense, or competition I would pass.  

• Like 1

Broomhandles and Tokarevs held the speed record until 1935 when the .357 was introduced. The PPSH-41 open bolt subgun could approach 900 rpm but was limited by a 71 round drum. So as stated above this is not really new but updated to a higher pressure.