Ordered new scope yesterday

Until now, the nicest scope I've ever owned is a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40. Always had Busnell and Simmons scopes for years. Some of them were nice quality so I'm not downing them but the Leupold stood out way ahead when I bought it. I finally saw the light of putting as much money in glass as the rifle. 

I've been doing some long range shooting with some friends of mine and it got me very interested, yet quickly found the limits of my current scope. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to buy a Nightforce 5-25 but 1) My wife would beat me with it and 2) I just simply can't afford it. But I have been doing a lot of research and decided my needs would be nicely met with a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50. It should be here tomorrow and I cannot wait!! Honestly this scope cost to me feels like I did buy a Nightforce haha. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one down the road. I have a set of QD A.R.M.S. 30mm rings in the safe so I may use them for now until I can afford a new set of rings. Vortex, Badger Ordinance, and Nightforce are the rings I'm deciding on since they all have some nice products. Some nicer than others and price definitely reflects this. I'll have to do some research for height per ring manufacturer before I buy though.

Anyway, I know I'm in trouble for not having pictures but will post when I get it mounted. HS Precision stock for the Rem 700 SPS Tactical will be the next necessity for sure since the Hogue flexes way more than I want. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

That is a nice scope.  Which adjustments did you go with, MOA or MRAD?

I went with MOA simply because I'm not familiar enough with the MRAD system and have heard many people say they didn't like it as well. But I also understand that it my be a system I would like if I tried it. Just didn't want to risk buying and then wishing I hadn't. If that makes sense. 

23 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Look at the Magpul stock for the 700. That's how I would go right now. I think you're gonna like the Vortex. I have one of their PST FFP scopes in the same power range

I've looked at them and like them a lot. Never spoke with anyone personally to get a review but reviews online seem to be positive. 

Yeah the PST is very nice and a tad out of my price range. But I will be hunting with this rifle so I think this was a good choice for my needs. Can't wait to look through it!

11 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

Thanks Leroy! It's out for delivery now so I'm getting more excited every minute. 

Speaking of stocks... with that 24x scope, you will find that an adjustable cheek piece is real helpful in getting head lined up. a 24x scope is finicky. It will wink at 24x.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Speaking of stocks... with that 24x scope, you will find that an adjustable cheek piece is real helpful in getting head lined up. a 24x scope is finicky. It will wink at 24x.

I agree. I was at my friends farm this weekend shooting his GA Precision in 260 with 5-25 Nightforce on it. On 25x I could tell that your cheek weld had to be perfect. Well for me anyway. I figured if I go with HS Precision I'd have to add an adjustable cheek piece or if I go with Magpul Hunter stock I believe it has raised cheek or adjustable but can't remember if both options are available on it. I guess I'll have to buy a stock pack for now to get me by. Buying even a $200 Magpul stock is out of the question at this time. The scope was a big expense for me but totally worth it. I was raised on beans, I reckon eating them for a while again won't hurt a thing :)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I agree. I was at my friends farm this weekend shooting his GA Precision in 260 with 5-25 Nightforce on it. On 25x I could tell that your cheek weld had to be perfect. Well for me anyway. I figured if I go with HS Precision I'd have to add an adjustable cheek piece or if I go with Magpul Hunter stock I believe it has raised cheek or adjustable but can't remember if both options are available on it. I guess I'll have to buy a stock pack for now to get me by. Buying even a $200 Magpul stock is out of the question at this time. The scope was a big expense for me but totally worth it. I was raised on beans, I reckon eating them for a while again won't hurt a thing :)

I would get it as close as I could with ring height. I'm betting, as low as you can get it will work best

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

I happened upon a set of 30mm Redfield rings at Academy this morning. It was the only ones they had and were medium. The price was $17.99 or something like that but rang up as clearance price $5.88! I'm sure they'll hold me over fine until I get new ones. They are much lower than the ARMS but still higher than they should be. But at least I can shoot it for now. 

IMG_0460.JPG

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Those look fine. You DID use blue Loctite on all the screw threads, right?

No sir but I have some low rings coming in next week. I want to see which ones fit better. I imagine the low ones will, but want to make sure I have room for flip up caps. But then I definitely will loctite them. I learned that lesson a long time ago! But thanks for mentioning it just in case I didn't know :up:

15 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

No sir but I have some low rings coming in next week. I want to see which ones fit better. I imagine the low ones will, but want to make sure I have room for flip up caps. But then I definitely will loctite them. I learned that lesson a long time ago! But thanks for mentioning it just in case I didn't know :up:

Yep. I've shot a scope plumb off a semi-auto before. Now I loctite everything, and torque it all with a Fat Wrench

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

Yep. I've shot a scope plumb off a semi-auto before. Now I loctite everything, and torque it all with a Fat Wrench

I need to buy a Fat Wrench BAD! My friend has one and I'm going to finish everything up at his house with a level and his wrench so I don't have to worry. 

Just now, rugerla1 said:

I need to buy a Fat Wrench BAD! My friend has one and I'm going to finish everything up at his house with a level and his wrench so I don't have to worry. 

One of the best things I ever bought. I have a bunch of rifles with optics, so I was an easy justification for me

• Like 1

Keep an eye on the Primary Arms website.  The Magpul Hunter 700 goes on sale periodically.  My buddy and I both picked up one with magwell and sling mounts during one of the sales.  Total price for everything was only about $10 more than the everyday price for the stock.  It did seem to tighten up everything a little on my 700 sps tactical.

As for the Vortex, I guess I am one of the few that hasn't been thrilled with my Viper, at least not the warranty.  Initially it was awesome, great clarity, performed as expected and was a great price. After a particularlly cold hunt it developed a haze on the outer edge at the higher magnifications.  Sent it back to Vortex with description of issue and included pics just to be sure.  When I got it back, the invoice stated all they did was cleaned the lens and that the haze was normal as scopes age (3yrs old).  I guess I could have gotten a lazy tech working on my scope but I wasn't that impressed.  I may try sending it back one more time just to see.  Or I could do what my buddy suggested and drive over it with my jeep and then send it back lol.

• Like 1