P229 Check-mate Mags Hard to Load

Father Goose

I recently picked up a new P229R and it came with two 15-round mags manufactured by MecGar (Made in Italy). I bought two more from Ammunition Depot that are Made in the USA (Check-mate Industries). The MecGar mags are very easily to load, but I have a very hard time loading the 15th round into the Check-mate mags (even rounds 10-14 are not very nice). I know some will say to use an UpLULA loader, but that's really only practical for range trips. Anyone know shops that tend to carry the MecGar mags, such as Top Gun Supply?

Edited by Father Goose
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Alright, a little update. The new mags came in from TGO, but were also USA made Check-mate mags. After doing some more research, I came across the suggestion that the followers might be a little too tall. So, I took one to test and ground down the front and back tabs a little bit. It seemed to help very little. Also, the coil count on the Check-mate mags is 12 while the coil count on the MecGar mags is 11. I proceeded to cut off the extra coil to see what it would do, which seemed to make a noticeable difference when loading (I could get all 15 rounds in without too much trouble). I loaded the modified mag into the pistol to check on the ease of racking the slide. Sadly, it was very hard to do so. Taking off yet another coil and trying again yielded the same result. It looks like I'm back down to 14 rounds in the rest of the Check-mate mags until I can source more of the MecGars. In my opinion, SIG really ought to recall the Check-mate mags.

• 2 weeks later...

Many 'pros' recommend downloading mags by one to two rounds anyway.  If they function well simply use them routinely or make them your carry mag or your training mags.  Sometimes high cap mags may not function as well or for as long.  But, if yours work and reliable, no biggy.

57 minutes ago, chances R said:

Many 'pros' recommend downloading mags by one to two rounds anyway.  If they function well simply use them routinely or make them your carry mag or your training mags.  Sometimes high cap mags may not function as well or for as long.  But, if yours work and reliable, no biggy.

The problem is that these aren't high cap mags or even aftermarket high cap mags. 15 rounds is the factory mag spec for the late frame p229 9mm. At issue is Sig switching suppliers seemingly at random for OE mags between Mec-Gar and Checkmate. I have a half dozen Mec-Gar 15 round p229 mags for my m11A1 and all work flawlessly. I haven't experience the checkmate issues but I have been lucky and only have a single checkmate mag for my sigs.