Tn. Constutional carry

That is kind of what I like about the system that Mississippi has in place.  You have always been able to carry a loaded firearm in your car there without any sort of license and somewhat open carry depending on opinion.  Now you can open carry for free, conceal carry in a belt holster for free without a license, carry on a regular license (with restrictions), or carry on an enhanced licence (training required just like TN's permit) and carry virtually anywhere, including K-12 schools, legally.  I believe you are limited from carrying in courtrooms during court and police stations with an enhanced license.  No it's not a perfect system but the system helps the vast majority of good guys carrying and in my opinion is better than what we have in TN.

In an ideal world we would be able to own Class 3 firearms without a tax stamp, mail order firearms just like it was up until the late 60's, and be able to carry in all 50 states anywhere legally without any sort of license or restrictions.  That's just not going to happen unfortunately and we have to make the best of it if reasonable politicians are willing to work with 2nd Amend groups and help cut restrictions.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, 300winmag said:

That is kind of what I like about the system that Mississippi has in place.  You have always been able to carry a loaded firearm in your car there without any sort of license and somewhat open carry depending on opinion.  Now you can open carry for free, conceal carry in a belt holster for free without a license, carry on a regular license (with restrictions), or carry on an enhanced licence (training required just like TN's permit) and carry virtually anywhere, including K-12 schools, legally.  I believe you are limited from carrying in courtrooms during court and police stations with an enhanced license.  No it's not a perfect system but the system helps the vast majority of good guys carrying and in my opinion is better than what we have in TN.

In an ideal world we would be able to own Class 3 firearms without a tax stamp, mail order firearms just like it was up until the late 60's, and be able to carry in all 50 states anywhere legally without any sort of license or restrictions.  That's just not going to happen unfortunately and we have to make the best of it if reasonable politicians are willing to work with 2nd Amend groups and help cut restrictions.

Yes is would be great if one of our so called pro gun state reps would introduce legislation modeled on MS or MO.  I wish the groups that represent firearm interests in TN would push for that.  That would be real 2nd amendment support.  I know there are a lot of people that think constitutional carry is the answer.  Given the idiots we see in the world around us, I really don't have a problem with demonstrating responsibility or proficiency, even on a repetitive basis, to have an enhanced carry license IN ADDITION to basic free rights.  Sad that Republican dominated TN legislature does not appear to really want to improve our 2nd amendment rights.

Yes, in Missouri and Mississippi, if you have a permit (enhanced in MS and regular in MO) and you are found to be carrying a handgun at say a K-12 school or college or say a 'posted area', you are just asked to leave.  You do not have to worry about any sort of misdemeanor or felony weapons charge in addition to being asked to leave like we have to worry about here.

Those laws in Missouri and MS do not affect workplace or property owners' policies with regards to weapons because they can still ask you to leave if you are breaking their internal policies.  I would highly prefer that to our situation here in TN because you balance property owner's rights (internal policies left alone by state government) and also people with permits carry rights (no criminal weapons charges).

I think that some of the gun rights orgs that have tried to affect workplace and company policies are part of the reason we have not made much headway in the past few years when it comes to reducing restrictions on people carrying.  They have not wanted to separate the desire to reduce criminal penalties from the desire to change companies' weapons policies.

The politicians could modify or eliminate two parts in the state criminal code related to weapons (39-17-1309 and 39-17-1359) with simple exemptions for people with permits and you would be able to legally carry in A LOT more places than present.  It was done for people with permits and guns (39-17-1313) in vehicles, why not extend that exemption to people with permits and guns outside the vehicle?

Lay a solid groundwork now as far as those carry restrictions and then when the make up of the legislature changes more favorable to 2nd amend causes, then go for Constitutional carry.  If you don't lay that groundwork on cutting carry restrictions, then if you ever got constitutional carry it won't mean much when every government and private property is 'posted' and people are risking weapons charges left and right.  Not much of a right if you can't carry legally.

Edited by 300winmag

Michigan allows the carry of a firearm into schools as long as its openly carried and you have a permit. No carnage there by any lawful carrier that I am aware of.  Their signs do not carry the force of law either.  They also have unlicensed OC. Prime example of the difference between states laws and why, or what is it exactly, that states do not like to look at examples of how other states do things and the impact, or lack of impact on the general public.

Edited by ken56
On 12/8/2016 at 1:07 PM, 300winmag said:

Yes, in Missouri and Mississippi, if you have a permit (enhanced in MS and regular in MO) and you are found to be carrying a handgun at say a K-12 school or college or say a 'posted area', you are just asked to leave.  You do not have to worry about any sort of misdemeanor or felony weapons charge in addition to being asked to leave like we have to worry about here.

Those laws in Missouri and MS do not affect workplace or property owners' policies with regards to weapons because they can still ask you to leave if you are breaking their internal policies.  I would highly prefer that to our situation here in TN because you balance property owner's rights (internal policies left alone by state government) and also people with permits carry rights (no criminal weapons charges).

I think that some of the gun rights orgs that have tried to affect workplace and company policies are part of the reason we have not made much headway in the past few years when it comes to reducing restrictions on people carrying.  They have not wanted to separate the desire to reduce criminal penalties from the desire to change companies' weapons policies.

The politicians could modify or eliminate two parts in the state criminal code related to weapons (39-17-1309 and 39-17-1359) with simple exemptions for people with permits and you would be able to legally carry in A LOT more places than present.  It was done for people with permits and guns (39-17-1313) in vehicles, why not extend that exemption to people with permits and guns outside the vehicle?

Lay a solid groundwork now as far as those carry restrictions and then when the make up of the legislature changes more favorable to 2nd amend causes, then go for Constitutional carry.  If you don't lay that groundwork on cutting carry restrictions, then if you ever got constitutional carry it won't mean much when every government and private property is 'posted' and people are risking weapons charges left and right.  Not much of a right if you can't carry legally.

Heck, I think that doing away with the weight of law for signs that only really impact the people who are responsible enough to get a permit to legally carry plus legally recognizing individual property rights in that the confines of a person's vehicle are that person's private property just like the confines of their home (no matter on what slab of concrete the vehicle happens to be parked at the time) would be bigger 'wins' for handgun carry than so-called Constitutional carry, anyhow.

• Like 1

Yeah it would be a big deal to get rid of the weapons charge behind the 'no guns' sign.   You would be able carry legally at the hospitals when seeing people that are sick, local government owned buildings when taking care of paperwork, and the airport (of course not past metal detectors).

People can say that no one gets criminally charged over those signs, but it's those kind of laws that are used to hassle people by costing them a lot of money in legal fees to get the charges dropped.  I also think gun rights people should want people carrying to be legal in as many places as possible and not worry about weapons charges.

I have said in this thread that I don't have a problem with some sort of vetting for people who want to carry in public such as our HCP system although I don't think it should cost roughly $200 or more for the initial fees (including cost if the class) nor should there be recurring fees.  The other side of 'being vetted' however should be that once you are vetted as being reasonably responsible then that should mean being considered responsible enough to carry anywhere not just responsible enough to carry in Walmart - as long as they don't post.  If I am 'safe' enough to carry while while walking down the sidewalk in Loudon or 'safe' enough to carry at Kroger, to carry near the play area at McDonald's or in a park around other people then I am 'safe' enough to carry at the courthouse or the state capitol building.

• 5 years later...
On 11/29/2016 at 12:55 AM, f308gtb said:

Do you believe we get our rights from the Constitution???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, we get our rights from God…or natural rights, whichever you prefer. These rights are protected BY the constitution & any infringement is considered constitutionally illegal. Until “We, the people”, get this ingrained in our heads, the government is going to take advantage of our collective ignorance & push THEIR objectives for law on us. Remember, THEY work for US! It doesn’t matter if there’s a permit less carry, reciprocity, may or shall issue, gun free zones, too stupid to own a gun (according to someone’s opinion), or if it hurts someone’s feelings…the right to keep & bear arms is constitutionally protected throughout these United States of America, unless the individual is disqualified through violent, criminal acts. 

• Like 1