Gun Owning Cooks

btq96r

I think this can be a fun and informative thread thread if we keep it going.  Basically, post a pic of what you cooked/prepared for yourself or your family...either a meal or a snack so good you have to share.  That way, if someone likes what they see, they can ask for the recipe, or preparation tips. 

I'll kick things off with what I made for supper tonight:

• Grilled steak (charcoal, not gas)- marinated with Italian dressing for 8 hours, cooked somewhere between medium/medium well
  • Honey gold potatoes- half cooked in a boiling pot, then sauteed to finish with olive oil, pressed garlic, butter, and cracked pepper
  • Romaine salad with Mexican cheese blend
  • Small/med amount of Italian dressing drizzled over everything

IMG_20161023_211422_zps5kc8s04m.jpg

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 5
  • Authorized Vendor

Crock-Pot-Taco-Soup1.jpg

Taco Soup....

2 pounds ground beef
2 cups diced onions
2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans pinto beans
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can pink kidney beans
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes with chiles
2 (4 1/2-ounce) cans diced green chiles
1 (4.6-ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced, optional
1/2 cup green olives, sliced, optional
1 (1 1/4-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (1-ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix
Corn chips, for serving
Sour cream, for garnish
Grated cheese, for garnish
Chopped green onions, for garnish
Pickled jalapenos, for garnish

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

Crock-Pot-Taco-Soup1.jpg

Taco Soup....

2 pounds ground beef
2 cups diced onions
Corn chips, for serving
Sour cream, for garnish

I'm doin' this.

I have made a variation of this on several occasions. Other than browning the ground beef or venison and chopping up an onion and fresh peppers (If I happen to have some) it's just a matter of opening a bunch of cans and packages then dumping them into a large pot and let it simmer on medium to low heat to let it meld.  I usually use a variety of the Ro*Tel Tomatoes because I like to keep an assortment on hand.  Quick easy one pot dish and my family tends to like spicy foods so it's liked by all.

th?id=OIP.M869e631c842ddcce9c83b296b3b9c

• Like 1

I have made a variation of this on several occasions. Other than browning the ground beef or venison and chopping up an onion and fresh peppers (If I happen to have some) it's just a matter of opening a bunch of cans and packages then dumping them into a large pot and let it simmer on medium to low heat to let it meld.  I usually use a variety of the Ro*Tel Tomatoes because I like to keep an assortment on hand.  Quick easy one pot dish and my family tends to like spicy foods so it's liked by all.

th?id=OIP.M869e631c842ddcce9c83b296b3b9c

• Authorized Vendor
3 hours ago, btq96r said:

How long do you let it all cook?  And in a pot or slow cooker?

After I browned the hamburger I added the onions and cooked them until they were about clear then added the other stuff and cooked it in a pot on the stove. I brought everything to a boil then turned it down to simmer for 45-60 minutes stirring about every 10-15 minutes.

12 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

After I browned the hamburger I added the onions and cooked them until they were about clear then added the other stuff and cooked it in a pot on the stove. I brought everything to a boil then turned it down to simmer for 45-60 minutes stirring about every 10-15 minutes.

That's what I figured. Chili, but ain't :)

Reasonably quick and easy Currywurst

Curry Ketchup

1 cup of Tomato Ketchup
4 teaspoons of Curry Powder
2 teaspoons of Sweet Paprika (sub hot paprika if you like some spice)
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce
2 teaspoons of Mild Honey 
1 teaspoons of Chili Powder
1 teaspoon of Water

Marinate sliced Smoked Sausage in the curry ketchup for at least 24 hours and serve over fresh french fries. (I use McDonalds fries b/c McCurry wurst was my favorite)

26630673750_607ee62d46_c.jpgCurrywurst by Erik, on Flickr

Black pepper salmon and lemon dill creme bites.

Slow cook a salmon filet to taste either in smoker or sous vide.

After softening, prepare a small container of cream cheese by stirring in 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice and finely minced fresh dill to taste.

Spread prepared cream onto crackers or chips, and top each with salmon and garnish with fresh cracked black pepper.

26519245463_62a02ac4d7_c.jpgSalmon by Erik, on Flickr

5 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

Cool.  If you want to mix it up a little, you can let the meat cook inside the pot with everything else.  That's become my preferred method.  Saves me a step and some cleanup, plus some people swear it helps with flavoring. 

11 minutes ago, NextExit said:

@btq96r  How about posting a disclaimer that says "Do not look at the pics if you are on a low calorie / sodium restricted diet." :P

Ehh, all things in moderation, lol.

In all seriousness, since I have hypertension, I do keep an active watch on the sodium content of things without getting too crazy.  I try to use fresh or low sodium ingredients whenever possible, such as just chopping up a tomato instead of using a canned alternate.  From that alone, you can cut a few hundred mg's of sodium down to about half a dozen.  I also don't put salt on very much, and when I do, it's just a wee bit.  I use more black pepper and spices to bring up a flavor as a substitute.

Calories however...that's a sometimes it's a little, sometimes it's a lot kind of thing. :D

9 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Cool.  If you want to mix it up a little, you can let the meat cook inside the pot with everything else.  That's become my preferred method.  Saves me a step and some cleanup, plus some people swear it helps with flavoring. 

You're talking Cincinnati Chili now. May wanna use at least ground chuck or ground round for that method. All the juice goes into the soup (good) and all the fat does too.

• Like 1

I'm a crock-pot person.  Something about slow cooking food for 4-6 hours that makes it taste good (or maybe it's just in my head.)

I could probably make that taco soup recipe work by using fresh or frozen ingredients instead of canned. (where possible)  Throw it in the slow cooker, maybe add black pepper, some curry powder and I might have something.... like a desperate need for prilosec! :P

1 hour ago, NextExit said:

I'm a crock-pot person.

Ditto.  It's just too perfect for my current work schedule.  Throw everything in, turn it on, then come home to a fantastic smelling house with a hearty meal ready to go.

This is my current favorite Crock-Pot meal(s).  Takes all of five minutes to prep, with your crock pot doing all the work. 

Ingredients Needed to make 2x Man Size Servings
10.5oz can of condensed cream of chicken (I always use Campbell's)
1/2 can of salsa (or about a cups worth if you're a measurement Nazi)
1/2 packet of taco seasoning
Up to 4x boneless skinless chicken breasts
1x large scoop of sour cream

Cooking Instructions
Place all of the ingredients except for the sour cream into the crock pot, and get it mixed up. Place the pot on low. When your chicken is cooked, and your cream of chicken mixes with the salsa, there should be a dark orange look to it. Mix in the sour cream, and the orange should start to brighten up. Turn off the heat if you like to let it cool, or serve it piping hot. The chicken will be fantastic.

The salsa and seasoning you pick will determine the level of heat the overall meal has unless you want to add anything else to give it a kick. So if you like things spicy, get a really hot salsa. Goes well over white rice, or with any form of potato. A variation I like is to use only 2x chicken breasts, chopped up into small pieces before cooking, and serving it all as a soup with shredded cheese on top and tortilla chips as a lunch to tide me over before a big dinner.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

This came out great...

eW2gP7qlN_F4dpJ5LjovVsxGdDmucjRIRSYr_GBj

Here's how I did it:
1)  Grated a potato, drained the excess water from the shreds in a colander, added a pinch of salt, and a good bit of cracked black pepper, along with some cayenne pepper for flavoring.

2)  Used an 8" frying pan and some olive oil to make a large hash brown patty getting both sides crisp on the outside.

3)  Since my frying pan isn't oven safe (some are on the way), I transfered the hash brown to a baking tray, then cracked two eggs on top (one yolk broke, but that was a happy accident so I could try the over easy and over hard styles), added a bit of pepper and some hot sauce for a kick.

4)  Baked at 375 for 15 min, then garnished with bacon, along with sides of salsa and sour cream.

That was just for me, but you can use more potato, more egg in a bigger pan to make a family breakfast that can come right to the table for portioning.

17 minutes ago, btq96r said:

This came out great...

eW2gP7qlN_F4dpJ5LjovVsxGdDmucjRIRSYr_GBj

Here's how I did it:
1)  Grated a potato, drained the excess water from the shreds in a colander, added a pinch of salt, and a good bit of cracked black pepper, along with some cayenne pepper for flavoring.

2)  Used an 8" frying pan and some olive oil to make a large hash brown patty getting both sides crisp on the outside.

3)  Since my frying pan isn't oven safe (some are on the way), I transfered the hash brown to a baking tray, then cracked two eggs on top (one yolk broke, but that was a happy accident so I could try the over easy and over hard styles), added a bit of pepper and some hot sauce for a kick.

4)  Baked at 375 for 15 min, then garnished with bacon, along with sides of salsa and sour cream.

That was just for me, but you can use more potato, more egg in a bigger pan to make a family breakfast that can come right to the table for portioning.

I could eat that every morning!

• Like 1
On 10/24/2016 at 6:41 AM, Grand Torino said:

Crock-Pot-Taco-Soup1.jpg

Taco Soup....

2 pounds ground beef
2 cups diced onions
Corn chips, for serving
Sour cream, for garnish

One of our favorites. We have taco soup 4-5 times a month. We do ours cooked 6-8 hours in the slow cooker after browning the ground beef.

• 2 months later...

Baked buffalo wings. Since they aren't fried, I'm even telling myself they're vaguely healthy. I love how it avoids all the drippy sauce by baking it into the skin instead of tossing it after it's cooked.

1. Take the chicken and put it into a large mixing or serving bowl.
  2. Add in a generous amount of your favorite buffalo sauce (I'm trying a different one each time to see what I like best) and add in some medium or large grain cracked black pepper and any other seasonings you want.
  3. If you have a lid for the bowl, cover it up, toss and shake. Otherwise just get your hands in and mix it up. Leave in the fridge to marinate before cooking.
  4. Take a baking tray with a rim and wrap it in tinfoil. Coat the tinfoil with a non-stick spray or a light coat of oil to keep the wings from sticking too badly.
  5. Bake at 350 for 45 min. Be careful when taking the wings off the sheet, they might be stuck a little bit, but can come without ripping off if lifted gently.

Enjoy!

15791161-b6be-4b02-b3dc-ec1c259719ed_zps

• 9 months later...
22 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Decided to treat myself on a random Wednesday.  Not too shabby with just a chunk of meat, a pan, and a stove.  Potatoes may look bland, but they have fresh pressed garlic and fresh grated parmesan cheese mixed in.

iFKmOC0.jpg

That looks good...