Early Voting

TNWNGR

I went to do my early voting thing today and was surprised at the higher then usual turn out I found there, in many ways it was like a busy primary election day. It's really to bad that voting turn outs have been so poor these last few Presidential Elections, I like seeing a lot of people voting.

1 hour ago, XxthejuicexX said:

Question. What happens if you vote early and something happens to the candidate before Election Day? Is your vote just waisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essentially, yes.  I think some people were burned by this in the primary with a few of the candidates dropping out if memory serves.

11 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Essentially, yes.  I think some people were burned by this in the primary with a few of the candidates dropping out if memory serves.

Not sure, but in the general you are voting for both prez and vice prez as a package, so if one croaks, the other would still get the vote?

Might take another SCOTUS decision?

- OS

13 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Not sure, but in the general you are voting for both prez and vice prez as a package, so if one croaks, the other would still get the vote?

Might take another SCOTUS decision?

- OS

Probably would go to the courts.

Seems the further back from inauguration day you go, the murkier things get once you back past a few key dates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/09/14/what-happens-if-a-u-s-presidential-candidate-withdraws-or-dies-before-the-election-is-over/

We early voted last Friday. At the time, we were the only two in the poll.

It was a much better setup than our normal polling location. There is always a long line out the door... for the second sign-in station. You have to know that there is no line for the first table where you get your form. You have to walk all the way past each person in the line, get your form and then walk all the way back past each person in line, just to get to the end of the line. I bitch about it every time I go. 

I voted yesterday. Lots of people, but it went smoothly.  Took about 45 minutes.

My girlfriend voted last week. Again a crowd and it took her about an hour. 

I voted early because my usual polling place generally gets pretty crowded. The wait is normally 1-2 hours. I'm expecting a huge turn out for this election. The law says that if you are in line when the polls close, you get to vote. This year I wouldn't be at all surprised if many polling places didn't finish until 9:00pm or later. 

First line I've ever seen at the early voting place I go to, guy at door said it was "beyond heavy".  Whole thing only took 10 min though.

So I voted to send John Duncan back to DC and Eddie Smith and Becky Massey back to Nashville. And that was all.

- OS

I wait until election day to vote.  I live right at the edge of my county and never have reason or opportunity to go anywhere near where early voting takes place during the hours that early voting is open.  Doing so would pretty much mean making an hour to hour and twenty minute (round trip from home) out of my way and in the opposite direction from where I work (which is another 30 miles from where I live) plus whatever time it took to vote.  It would be difficult to do that even if I thought that any of the candidates (big two or third party) were worth a crap.  My designated polling place, on the other hand, is about fifteen minutes from me.  Still in the opposite direction from work but much more doable.  Hopefully you guys are right and most folks will vote ahead of time.  My polling place is small and probably not extremely busy, anyhow, but if most folks have already voted then I should be able to get in and out and on my way to work that morning without much delay.

Edited by JAB

Voted Saturday!  I was in and out in 10 minutes or so.  No long lines, but the office was busy with all the machines being utilized.  Good to see others getting out to vote instead of sitting back and waiting for everyone else to decide what the direction of this country will go. 

Whether it's standing in the long lines on the 8th, mail in ballots, or early voting, it's better than being too lazy to spend the 10 minutes it takes to cast your vote!