Arby's Venison Sandwich

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Who knew there was enough farmed venison from to support an effort like this?  

I love the occasional Arby's sandwich when I'm on the road, but if I was a shareholder I'd love to see them stick to one menu for a year or two. 

Available for a short time only, or until there is another lightning strike.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/world/europe/hardangervidda-norway-lightning-reindeer.html?_r=0

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

...but if I was a shareholder I'd love to see them stick to one menu for a year or two. 

Seems they're throwing anything they can whip together at the wall to see what sticks.  I can't imagine venison being a fast food item of consistent quality.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

I saw LOTS of sandwich meat on the side of the road lately

It is getting to be that time of the year.  

Last November I was heading west on I-40 and there around Cuba Landing just east of the TN river some ole boy was pulled off in the median cutting the backstrap out of a fresh one.  :lol:

• Like 3
4 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Venison steaks are not easy to get tender.  They should not be cooked past medium rare in a thick piece like in the picture.  I have a feeling this is not going to be a hit.  I will try it though.

Me too. I like venison, so hopefully it will be good. I'll have to schedule a trip out that way.

Edited by hipower

That Arby's is walking distance from my office.  Probably won't be trying it though.  I've set the bar high on venison steak.  Deer isn't easy to cook, top and bottom round steaks aren't even worth eating off of a deer as a steak because they don't have enough fat content.  Tenderloins or backstrap are the only parts of a deer that will make a decent steak, top and bottom round will make a fine roast or makes good ground meat.  Let the "I want $15 an hour for serving French fries" crowd at Arby's touch it and it won't be worth eating anyway.  

• Moderators
That Arby's is walking distance from my office.  Probably won't be trying it though.  I've set the bar high on venison steak.  Deer isn't easy to cook, top and bottom round steaks aren't even worth eating off of a deer as a steak because they don't have enough fat content.  Tenderloins or backstrap are the only parts of a deer that will make a decent steak, top and bottom round will make a fine roast or makes good ground meat.  Let the "I want $15 an hour for serving French fries" crowd at Arby's touch it and it won't be worth eating anyway.  

Buy one and mail it to me:)

I quit eating at Arby's about a year ago when they began that "we have the meat ad". I went in there to get a few plain Beef and cheddar sandwiches and a bag of fries and it cost me 20 bucks for the plain old fashion sandwiches without the extra meat option and the sandwiches didn't have extra meat.......................:mad::mad:

My wife and I both like venison a lot. But it wasn't always that way. I've always liked it, but It took her a bit to really like it. We developed our ways of cooking it to our liking over time. Others in the family(s) won't touch it. Sounds like a bit of a gamble for a fast food place. I wonder where the meat comes from. I've never heard of a commercial venture at raising deer for slaughter.

1 hour ago, Randall53 said:

My wife and I both like venison a lot. But it wasn't always that way. I've always liked it, but It took her a bit to really like it. We developed our ways of cooking it to our liking over time. Others in the family(s) won't touch it. Sounds like a bit of a gamble for a fast food place. I wonder where the meat comes from. I've never heard of a commercial venture at raising deer for slaughter.

I've had elk in a Nashville restaurant. Don't know that deer is any stranger than that

• Like 1

Keep in mind this is farm raised venison.  I venture to say the venison sourced by Arby's will have little in common with what we are used to when it come to wild white tail venison.  These deer are grass fed and finished off with grains and the only thing this meat has in common with wild game will be that it is lean meat.  Another thing is that it may not be white tail.  American Red deer is also called venison as well as elk.   My experience is that it has a much milder taste than wild venison.  I've hunted in Wisconsin for 25 plus years and there is a game farm in the area that I hunt (I DO NOT hunt on a game farm) that raise white tail, elk and red deer for commercial use.  I've had some of the farm raised venison and like I said,  taste wise it had little in common with wild harvested venison.

41 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

I reckon not. I've had elk when I worked in Colorado many years ago and Bison. Both were very good. Only the Bison was in a restaurant though. Is elk still available in Nashville restaurants?

I have had plenty of bison in Colorado and Nebraska. I've also had it in Nashville. Ted's Montana Grill has a big Bison menu.

Elk is still available, but maybe not where I had it. I had a steak in a pretty good restaurant. It was good. Google it. Caney Fork is one, I think.

Edited by mikegideon
18 hours ago, Randall53 said:

I reckon not. I've had elk when I worked in Colorado many years ago and Bison. Both were very good. Only the Bison was in a restaurant though. Is elk still available in Nashville restaurants?

Elk and bison are two of my very favorite meats. I haven't had either in a few years though.

Scratch that, I haven't had elk in close to a decade, had some ground bison maybe 5 or so years ago. Those are the kind of meals you remember for a LONG time.

Tasty.

Not sure how I feel about fast food takes on either ,or venison for that matter. 

• Like 1

Just to throw this in.......... I marinade my venison in a mixture of 1/2 BBQ sauce (what ever your favorite is) 1/2 beer and a teaspoon of garlic in a plastic bag in the 'fridge for 4 hrs. or so. Cook in a hot cast iron fry pan to medium doneness. People that say they don't like venison have said it was very good. Have done roasts and tenderloins like this.

A week after Arby’s announced it would serve deer meat at select locations throughout the month of November, a Nashville-area restaurant sold out of the sandwiches in just five hours on Tuesday.

According to The Tennessean, the restaurant sold 100 sandwiches in an hour and completely sold out of its allotment of 250 by mid-afternoon. The high demand ended what was supposed to be a three-day promotion in just five hours.

Arby’s will begin selling the sandwiches — which also include crispy onions and a juniper berry sauce — at restaurants in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Atlanta beginning Friday. For a full list of restaurants that will serve the venison sandwiches, click here.