What size backup generator?

I swap out my tanks when they expire at the exchange places also but check the dates on the tanks you get. I have found expired tanks and ones with a very short time left. I only swap when I want a newer tank because in general most of the swap places seem to under fill their tanks. Being the anal type I keep records of all my tanks and weigh them when I fill them and when I have used one for awhile and don't want to run out at an inconvenient time. This all goes on a pad of paper hanging in the shop. I have fairly consistently seen the tanks weighing more, by 10-15% on the first fill from when I swapped them at an exchange place. This is over many years and tanks.

15 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I was talking about the little ones. There's a pair down there now, still shrink wrapped together, and one is empty and the other almost empty.

If they are still in shrink wrap I would take the back where I bought them and see if they will replace them. Don't know if they will or not but might be worth a try. I have that small 1lb bottles still in shrink wrap that I bought 10 years ago that are still full.

13 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I swap out my tanks when they expire at the exchange places also but check the dates on the tanks you get. I have found expired tanks and ones with a very short time left. I only swap when I want a newer tank because in general most of the swap places seem to under fill their tanks. Being the anal type I keep records of all my tanks and weigh them when I fill them and when I have used one for awhile and don't want to run out at an inconvenient time. This all goes on a pad of paper hanging in the shop. I have fairly consistently seen the tanks weighing more, by 10-15% on the first fill from when I swapped them at an exchange place. This is over many years and tanks.

your not being anal Jeb, your just keeping good records. I got to talk to a guy that was filling the shelves with refilled Rhino bottles at Walmart one time and he said they check the dates on all returns and if they are expired they will test them and if they pass they will update them and fill them to put back on shelves for exchange.

I wouldn't store propane tanks indoors, it's actually illegal to store them indoors and transport them in enclosed vehicles. I wouldn't worry much in a well ventilated shed with no ignition source but wouldn't want one inside my house.   

• 1 month later...

I picked up two diesel 6 cylnder white engine mfg.. 30kw non trailer sets  libby, welding company made for navy in 80s

Low hours one complete one has enclosure damage so it was used as parts an only thing gone on it is starter ..weight is 2850 each and I got the matching pair cheap...was gonna scrap and get the copper out and use the engines for other progects....but I've never started ..do not know if they run ..but fluids all are fine ..where do I list them on here ...Thanks

13 hours ago, Thumpercb said:

I picked up two diesel 6 cylnder white engine mfg.. 30kw non trailer sets  libby, welding company made for navy in 80s

Low hours one complete one has enclosure damage so it was used as parts an only thing gone on it is starter ..weight is 2850 each and I got the matching pair cheap...was gonna scrap and get the copper out and use the engines for other progects....but I've never started ..do not know if they run ..but fluids all are fine ..where do I list them on here ...Thanks

I usually look at the Trading Posts Section to sell or buy.

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2016 at 10:05 AM, maroonandwhite said:

I'm looking to purchase a backup portable generator for power outages. We usually have at least one a year and it may take a day or two to get fixed. I'm basically wanting to keep the refrigerator going along with some lights and possibly the well pump. I've seen contradicting numbers on what size I would need. I'd like to hear from you folks that have one.

Ill be connecting it into the system through my welder outlet with the main breaker off.

There is a large price gap in between a 5k watt model and the 8k~9k models so I'd prefer to save the dough where I can. It will likely only be used those one maybe two times a year. I don't want to shell out the dough for a Honda either. I'm looking at less than $1000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Size the generator at 2x the largest motor you need to start.  Likely your well pump.  You might add in the freezer in case the both start at the same time.  There are 746 watts in 1 HP. 

I have a Honda powered lawnmower.  Never again.  requires wd40 to start every time after the 3rd week from new.  Carb too complex, gums up too easily.  Briggs or nothing.  Avoid ethanol, it gums up carbs even worse. 

Edited by Colt4530
  • 1 year later...

Look at and add up all the power demand from all the stuff you want to power.  Assign 150% for the microwave.  Motor starts require AT LEAST 2x the running load.  There are 746 watts/horsepower.  Assume a freezer and fridge WILL start at the same time.  You can control when the lights, microwave runs and maybe the furnace fan, but not likely the rest. 

So, if you have a 1/2 HP  furnace you'll need 750+ watts to start the fan if you have gas heat.  Look at your fridge but expect 800 to 850 watts to start it.  Same for the freezer.  Add a couple hundred watts for lights, at least that for the TV or radio/stereo for entertainment.  And up to 1800 watts for the microwave, a device you'll want in an outage.  Add 1500 watts for each electric space heater. 

It's easy to get to 3500 watts and that has been an effective size for me over several years.  I have a Powerboss 3500/5250 watt now (check Wal-Mart.com).  It's a B&S brand.  A Briggs engine will sit for years with preserved fuel and start.  I have a Honda powered lawnmower.  No confidence it will start; for the first 3 years, I have sprayed it with WD-40 to start it. 

In the '93 blizzard, we were without power for 5 days.  You should plan on 5 days of fuel at the average power consumption you expect to see.  Should the SHTF, you can siphon gas from the cars and motorcycles after that.  Use the Briggs 2-year preservative. 

Edited by Colt4530