Public Restroom Stratagy

I was on a golf trip a short time back and got into a interesting conversation with a couple buddies who also carry. We stopped at a rest area on the side of the interstate and everyone beat feet to the bathroom. I was the only one not to elect the urinal. I had no business to tend to that required taking a seat but i was called out on why i didn't take a spot on the wall.

So, the question, do you always opt for the stall? I do because I don't like to have my back to the door. I try not be in a position where i cannot  watch what's going on behind me. I know bathroom doors don't offer much security but i would think i would be less likely to be targeted vs someone with their back to the wall--staring down. Thoughts? According to some of the "experts" in my group, preparedness turns in to paranoia at this point. What say you?

My strategy is not to use a public restroom unless it's a freaking emergency.  even then I don't get into a sitting position unless I'm home. and yes, I've left the house at 6am and not made it back until 9pm and never had the overwhelming urge. my dad was anot ironworker and we'd get into the car and the only time he stopped was or fuel so early training to control my body helped.

Any time I have to use a urinal I try to go to an end with strong side against a wall. I am not looking down, rather to the side and use my peripheral vision to keep an eye on who is  around me. Paranoid? Not to me, situational awareness is what it is.  When I use a stall I try to go to an end also, gun stays in the paddle holster and is set on top of the TP holder muzzle to the wall behind me. ears are always in tune with the sounds of what is happening. Been one time when I saw a guy walk the row  of stalls, passing by 3 open ones, and try to peek thru the crack in the door (not blatantly but trying to be sly about it)  where I unholstered my gun and was at the ready. He left.

I guess I am missing something, but it must be a miserable way of going about ones day to always be looking over your shoulder and on high alert. Yes, there are some bad people out there, but man relax a bit.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 14
I guess I am missing something, but it must be a miserable way of going about ones day to always be looking over your shoulder and on high alert. Yes, there are some band people out there, but man relax a bit.

I understand your point. Honestly, I wish I could. My profession requires a little more attention to my surroundings. The vast majority of my "clients" have a criminal record. I make decisions daily that affects their lives greatly. These are not always "favorable" decisions.

So, in an effort to relax, I try to make small changes in my behavior that allows me not to be looking over my shoulder all day, I.e using a stall in public. It may be over the top to some but to me, is an adjustment that really doesn't cost a thing.
  • Like 2

I travel a lot, up to 4000 miles per month. I try to use the facilities at my clients' place of business.

At times, it is necessary to stop for an urgent haircut.

Over time, I have identified better exits, that look safer and have clean facilities.

If I get hassled in a bathroom, here is how I will handle it

1 hour ago, peejman said:

I'd rather be in the relative open at the urinal so I have a shot at getting away (get off the X). In a stall you're completely boxed in. Someone kicks the door in, the only way out is through them. 

Thanks a lot Peej.  Now I have to find a new job.  My boss didn't find my use of that urinal appropriate.

When I am not working and carrying inside the waste band urinal when on duty in full gear stall. I have also learned there is no good way in the world to drop a duce with a vest and full load duty belt on without just about getting undressed I really miss taco Tuesday and food truck day

This is a good question.

I use the urinal.  I carry AIWB.  One hand on the gun, the other managing the task at hand is my normal routine.  Nothing wrong with stalling, hehe, before you enter the restroom to observe who is around you and if possible I would pick a urinal as far into the room as possible.  Not a lot of dudes are going to pass two or three urinals to stand right next to you.  If they do it is a sign that something is up.  I don't get too worried though, just get in and get out.  Don't forget to wash your hands and then use hand sanitizer once back in your car. 

• 3 weeks later...

I travel a lot too. A good bit is the same long stretch of road. And there is no way I can make the 8 hour drive without having to piss. Call me weak. Lol Like Gotthegoods said, I have found the good and bad exits. One trick I use is that in a brightly lit glossy tiled bathroom, the tile almost becomes a mirror. Even if it is not totally clear you can identify movement behind you. I do often opt for the stall though. Remember most of the doors will swing both ways after someone gives it a good kick. So if you are aware and see it coming, that door might just be best weapon to use first. Lots of my destinations limit what I can have on me and in my car, so sometimes you have to use your surroundings. And no, we are not paranoid, we are careful.

Edited by Ronald_55
  • Like 1