AR bolt question

lock n' load

56 minutes ago, lock n' load said:

I am looking at buying some spare parts for my rifle and was thinking of buying a spare bolt to have as a backup. Would I need to also purchase "go/no go" gauges to test the fit of the new bolt ...

Nah.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah, as long as the parts are from reputable sellers you should be fine as far as headspace. Matter of fact most bolts you are going to find are not going to headspace dangerously loose.

The more expensive ones are the ones that have been tested individually for quality versus the cheaper batch testing method. For the average AR owner they will not need the durability of a high quality bolt but those that do send a lot of rounds down range will see the benefit of having the higher quality parts.

Personally, I would not trust a DPMS bolt but if you are not a high volume shooter it should be fine.

2 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

12 hours ago, btq96r said:

That one should work well enough.  If you're going to spend $55, why not just up the buy and get a full bolt carrier group?

Agree 100%.  much easier to just get a complete BCG, not just the bolt.  If you're worried about a part possibly breaking, it would make sense to have an entire extra unit ready to go, rather than just the bolt. 

Have you already gotten you "oops" spring/small parts kit squared away?

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. I had looked at buying that exact BCG a few weeks ago and may end up just doing that instead. I was hesitant to buy the whole BCG without knowing if I would be running into problems. I will be ordering more spare parts tonight like firing pins, gas rings, etc. I've looked at buying some field repair kits that should cover those items. Should I worry about extra springs, detents, ect? . I don't shoot very often, maybe every few months and then it's usually 100-150 rounds. I also need to get some spare parts for my new Windham 7.62 AR. I have new mags and a Vortex optic on its way this week for the new gun.

Edited by lock n' load
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 11/7/2016 at 6:57 PM, lock n' load said:

Thanks for the replies. I had looked at buying that exact BCG a few weeks ago and may end up just doing that instead. I was hesitant to buy the whole BCG without knowing if I would be running into problems. I will be ordering more spare parts tonight like firing pins, gas rings, etc. I've looked at buying some field repair kits that should cover those items. Should I worry about extra springs, detents, ect? . I don't shoot very often, maybe every few months and then it's usually 100-150 rounds. I also need to get some spare parts for my new Windham 7.62 AR. I have new mags and a Vortex optic on its way this week for the new gun.

Well, I hope I am not too late. But I highly recommend the BCGs offered by Sharps Rifle Company for any cartridge based on the .223/5.56 parent case. They make theirs superior to Mil-Spec, and the Bolt head design eliminated many of the common AR feeding, extracting, and failure to go to battery issues.

https://graniteridgeoutfitters.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=src

http://srcarms.com/

Additionally. Head-spacing really isn't so much of an issue with the AR-15 platform. That is why the Mil-Spec clearances and adhearances are so crucial for today's manufacturers; especially with the higher end parts (e.g. Aero Precision, Faxon, Spikes, etc.).