WW2 Sniper Clone

So I can't bring myself to pay $3000 for a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1 T or $6000 for a k98 with an ajack or zeiss affixed to it. What I have decided to do is try making a clone or my best possible reproduction. The problem I have had thus far is no one seems to think they can drill/tap the hardened Lee Enfield receivers. I haven't even inquired about the k98s yet.

Currently I have been watching the no4 mk1 T rifles that have no scope, just the scope mount brackets already affixed. Then it's simply buy the rest and slap it on. The right item at the right price hasn't came to my attention yet though.

As for the k98, even just the plain rifle isn't cheap, so that is one I would really want done right so that it looks original to the gun.

If I were to acquire the rifle and either period correct scope mounts/optics or just reproduction optics, is there a gunsmith on here or in the NE Tenn region that could mount them properly?

Even better, does anyone know of a company that does this already for the k98?

Can't drill and tap it?  Maybe not with a hand drill and bits from Walmart, but any sort of decent machinist shouldn't even blink at that.  

Google says it shouldn't be any harder than HRC 48, which is getting up there but a long way from too hard to tap.  

Look up Mike at Lawenforcementsalestn. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The problem with some of these is that they have a very hard surface or case. most drills and Mills won't touch the case. the trick is to use a small grinding stone to break through the first few thousandths of an inch. then they drill and tap no problem.

A competent gunsmith should be able to do this and understand the process.

• Like 1
You don't need a gunsmith per se, any decent machinist can do this. Drilling and tapping isn't rocket surgery. 

No I guess not. The only thing I would worry about is whoever did it getting the mount in the correct position on the receiver and idk how to even determine that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17 hours ago, Sidecarist said:

The problem with some of these is that they have a very hard surface or case. most drills and Mills won't touch the case. the trick is to use a small grinding stone to break through the first few thousandths of an inch. then they drill and tap no problem.

A competent gunsmith should be able to do this and understand the process.

Another way is to anneal the drill area by using a #3 oxy/acet torch and bring the spot to be drilled to an orange dot, let air cool. The Eddystones were good candidates for this treatment. 

6 hours ago, Ramjo said:

No I guess not. The only thing I would worry about is whoever did it getting the mount in the correct position on the receiver and idk how to even determine that.

You mean in-line with the bore and on center?  Again, that's easy for any decent machinist. 

On 11/29/2016 at 10:00 PM, Ramjo said:

The problem is there are no gun smiths in the Tri Cities that I am aware of.

There is a guy with a small shop on Blountville Blvd in Blountville I think. I had a friend that used him for some stuff. Said he was good.