Is .22lr ammo now unshackled!?

On 11/22/2016 at 8:41 PM, hipower said:

Agreed. I like neat, orderly stacks of the same  brands when I look in the ammo dump. lol

Better than half of what I have squirreled away is Blazer 22. Fair to good ammo, but I'd love to get a matching supply of some good 22 without breaking the piggy bank.

Aren't Blazer, CCI and Federal all the same company?  I know Blazer is often the 'value line' of ammo but (and this is a real question) is there really all that much difference in their .22LR offerings?  I have to wonder if they run a different line of Blazer .22LR or if it is just the same stuff as they put in the bulk packs of Federal.  Also, are these actual, loose round bulk packs or are they in 50 round boxes?  I ask because the only time I ever remember seeing Blazer in a 'bulk pack' it was boxes of 50 inside a larger box.  It was kind of nice, actually.  That has been quite some time ago but I seem to remember liking the Blazer stuff, especially for the price.

Personally, I don't remember ever seeing the Blazer .22LR in bulk packs at Walmart even when .22LR was at fully supply.  I remember seeing 50 rounders sometimes but not bulk packs.  For that matter, I don't remember seeing any CCI bulk packs at a Wally, either.  Of course I know that some Walmart locations stock things that others don't so I'm thinking my local Walmart locations just didn't stock them.  Bulk packs of Winchester, Federal (both 'regular' and Auto Match), a couple types of Remington were common, though.

Edited by JAB
2 hours ago, JAB said:

Aren't Blazer, CCI and Federal all the same company?  I know Blazer is often the 'value line' of ammo but (and this is a real question) is there really all that much difference in their .22LR offerings?  I have to wonder if they run a different line of Blazer .22LR or if it is just the same stuff as they put in the bulk packs of Federal.  Also, are these actual, loose round bulk packs or are they in 50 round boxes?  I ask because the only time I ever remember seeing Blazer in a 'bulk pack' it was boxes of 50 inside a larger box.  It was kind of nice, actually.  That has been quite some time ago but I seem to remember liking the Blazer stuff, especially for the price.

Personally, I don't remember ever seeing the Blazer .22LR in bulk packs at Walmart even when .22LR was at fully supply.  I remember seeing 50 rounders sometimes but not bulk packs.  For that matter, I don't remember seeing any CCI bulk packs at a Wally, either.  Of course I know that some Walmart locations stock things that others don't so I'm thinking my local Walmart locations just didn't stock them.  Bulk packs of Winchester, Federal (both 'regular' and Auto Match), a couple types of Remington were common, though.

I can't answer your question about all being the same company. I don't know. As far as the 22 Blazer vs the CCI labeled boxes; at least in the Dolomite heavily modified 10/22 I have...the CCI seems to be a bit more accurate. And I think a little less prone to have a bent round in the boxes.

But I'm far from being a great shot. I'm not a bullseye or long rage shooter. More of a plinker and pleasure shooter. So I tended to go for quantity at a good price when I bought the Blazer 22. I found a case of it after the "shortage scare" and paid way too much for it(by my cheap standards anyway). Right at 11 cents a round back then, but I was paranoid and couldn't get 22 anywhere. So I just bit the bullet, so to speak, and bought it.

As far as getting anything at local Walmarts around here...I never see much of anything. Like Musicman always tells us, seems like Academy is the best source.

Blazer .22 and CCI Standard are the exact same bewlitts.  The specs are identical and I've shot tons of both with the same results.

I got the bee in my bonnet for Blazer after pimping out my boyhood 10/22 with a fancy Adams & Bennett barrel from Midway a few years ago.  Blazer is the only bulk pack (not bricks for those that know the difference) that rifle will now shoot but it does it exceedingly well.   Think one dime sized hole at 50 yards for 10 shots.

Blazer does have a slight waxy or "greasy" coating like fancy European target ammo that I've observed.  CCI Standard does not.

WM never carried the bulk packs of Blazer, only 50 round boxes.  I bought a crap ton of it in 525 rounds boxes thanks to Dick's and their sales and also when another LGS has a stoopid sale on it.  

It's darn near my favorite cheap .22 ammo.

All that being said don't make it a point to go try and buy it all up. :lol:  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
39 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Blazer .22 and CCI Standard are the exact same bewlitts.  The specs are identical and I've shot tons of both with the same results.

I got the bee in my bonnet for Blazer after pimping out my boyhood 10/22 with a fancy Adams & Bennett barrel from Midway a few years ago.  Blazer is the only bulk pack (not bricks for those that know the difference) that rifle will now shoot but it does it exceedingly well.   Think one dime sized hole at 50 yards for 10 shots.

Blazer does have a slight waxy or "greasy" coating like fancy European target ammo that I've observed.  CCI Standard does not.

WM never carried the bulk packs of Blazer, only 50 round boxes.  I bought a crap ton of it in 525 rounds boxes thanks to Dick's and their sales and also when another LGS has a stoopid sale on it.  

It's darn near my favorite cheap .22 ammo.

All that being said don't make it a point to go try and buy it all up. :lol:  

Yeah I also have a fondness for that particular ammo. 

Well, apparently the "Old-Fart Early-Morning Walmart Rimfire Cartel" hasn't got the news in Murfreesboro-- I guess they still think Hillary is gonna be president and they can sell bricks of Golden Bullet and Thunderbolt for $75 apiece at gun shows... Hey, I guess they gotta have some reason to keep on living... I swear there's tire ruts in the road from Hardee's to Walmart where those geezers have made that run so many mornings--"senior coffee" in hand-- to scarf up every box of 22LR on the shelves...:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 4
7 minutes ago, tartanphantom said:

Well, apparently the "Old-Fart Early-Morning Walmart Rimfire Cartel" hasn't got the news in Murfreesboro-- I guess they still think Hillary is gonna be president and they can sell bricks of Golden Bullet and Thunderbolt for $75 apiece at gun shows... Hey, I guess they gotta have some reason to keep on living... I swear there's tire ruts in the road from Hardee's to Walmart where those geezers have made that run so many mornings--"senior coffee" in hand-- to scarf up every box of 22LR on the shelves...:lol::lol::lol:

I saw that for a long time here. Then our Walmarts started randomizing when they stocked it to the shelf and never putting it all in the case at once. They also cracked down on the guys that called their buddies every time some showed up. Not that it is there by the truck load, but I have seen it on the shelf several times lately.

5 hours ago, JAB said:

I was told a few years ago that the same company owns CCI and Federal. They both manufacture Blazers but in different factories and different equipment. I have found that the loose bulk boxes are usually made by Federal and the 50 box packs are usually made by CCI but Federal does box some of their Blazers. White plastic carrier 'with legs' are Federal mfg product, CCI (Lewiston, ID) mfg. product has a clear plastic carrier with no legs. If you lay them side by side the CCI is a very dark gray bullet; Federal is a light silver. If you can find a lot number, Federal product lot numbers typically end in three numbers, CCI lot numbers end in either one number or two, but never three. Examples: CCI Mfg: D26Q12 - Federal MFG: 2BY502. The last difference is CCI has a wax like bullet lube and Federal doesn't. All this info is from 4 years ago I haven't checked lately.

2 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I was told a few years ago that the same company owns CCI and Federal. They both manufacture Blazers but in different factories and different equipment....

CCI/Blazer/Speer all made in Lewiston, ID. Federal does not make "Blazer", factory in Anoka, MN.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
6 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

CCI/Blazer/Speer all made in Lewiston, ID. Federal does not make "Blazer", factory in Anoka, MN.

- OS

That could be (I read it on the internet it had to be true :-) but the difference in the ammo between bulk and boxed is as I described, I just looked a few week ago if it was still true. I have guns that like the boxed better and some that like the bulk better.

• 1 month later...

I need to get to Academy in Knoxville and see where they are on .22 ammo.  My weird work schedule and some other things that are going on right now make that easier said than done.  I can say that .22LR is still mostly a fairy tale at the Walmart locations in this area (Turkey Creek, Lenoir City and Sweetwater at the very least.)  I did see a single box of Federal Automatch on the shelf at the Sweetwater location on Saturday afternoon.  The price was $17 which I thought wasn't bad (say what you will about Walmart - they usually have the best price on ammo for those of us who can't/don't order in bulk.)  That single box looked so forlorn sitting there all by its lonesome that I felt I just had to take it home.  That was the first .22LR I have seen at any of those locations in a month or two, at least.  The strange thing is that they do seem to usually have .22 LR shotshells. 

• 9 months later...

Ah, the land of necro-posting.

OK... Understand I have been standing in front of WM firearms for eight years here in Vegas. WM had a rationing period on .22LR at our store...  three boxes/customer /day. That faded back in April.

OUR store did not get and does not get any advance word on ammo of any kind, .22LR or otherwise. Period. We find out THAT DAY. For myself, I have been hearing rumours about .22 being hoarded by other stores outside of Vegas... and if I ever get substantiation on this, both WM and the Feds will be getting strong letters. I have been called every name in the book for not having .22 when the stupid wm smartphone apps say I do. I'm past tired of it, so are the local management that is worth a damn. (Not to be confused with the management that is likely closet members of Handgun Control, Incorporated.)

Winchester M-22... the research I got on it is that the hard-anodized copper jacketing on the slugs was produced after many folks had been putting .22 uppers on their ARs, and were having fouling problems. The HA copper is supposed to leave less fouling, and also act slightly like the Civil War "Williams bullet" WIlliamses had a zinc washer soldered to the back , supposedly to scour out incompletely detonated powder and fouling. Out here in Vegas, it runs $50.87/box of 1000, said box composed of 2 500 rd boxes, sealed in the larger box with a pull tab, such as you used to see on boxes of ice cream.

I've got something like 1k rounds of .22, which is fine, as all I have at the moment is a AR-7. I wouldn't mind a decent priced Marlin PSS-70 Papoose, and most surely getting a Marlin 60 when settled in TN.

To address the ? of this thread... the only shackling I can attest to of .22LR is by the a$$#@|&$ that would do resells at gunshows. (Vegas has about 2-3 a month). The ringleaders would bribe a couple of the bums that hover off the edge of our property, give them cash and instructions, and they'd come in and buy the limit. They'd leave, the ringleader would get the .22 from the bums.  Ain't seen said ringleaders around lately... RUMINT I have is that one of the bums was a Fed in drag, and when that got out, the whole thing faded into the night. Too bad, so sad.

There may be similar "entrepreneurs"  in here that do that very thing... if so, your business and not mine, save to say I hope you got the class to not strip any one place, and not to try foisting the fruits of such practice onto this correspondent.

SWC

a/k/a KI7CIL