Does anyone here work on HVAC??

chipperi

OK I live in a 16x80 single wide that currently has an outdoor AC unit and an indoor electric furnace.

In the Summer with the AC running full bore all day and night our electric rarely go over 150-170

In the winter that dang electric heat kills us pushing the bills to their highest point of 306 yesterday when I got the bill. (Thats almost a new Gun!!!!)

So I have a few questions:

Does a Package Heat Pump system still need a coil inside? If not can I remove the old electric furnace, plug the hole in the floor and re situate the ducting to connect under the house, and convert the old furnace space into a closet?

If I go with a split system what are the advantages and disadvantages of this type of system. The only thing I can think of is I will still have the old heat as a back up if stuff goes south.

My home is 16x80 witch converts to 1280sf, I have seen several times that a good rule of thumb is 400sf per ton so a 3.5ton system should do the trick. yes/no

I live in North East Tennessee so summer temps range 85to95 high humidity. Winters are usually mild but we do see temps as low as 10f at night for several days in a row.

Giving the construction of a mobile home in the summer if the outside temp hits 70 it will easily get to 80 85 inside, so would a larger unit be needed.

What are some rough average costs installed ready to run?

I am sure I will have more questions but this is a good start.

Thanks

Chip

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HVAC Worker

Yup,you can install the package heatpump to replace your split system.I would also add electric heat strips for the really cold nights.A heatpump is good down to 26 degrees or so.That is when the strip heat will kick on.The freon system that I would recommend is R-410A,its worth the extra money.As far as size i would bump up to 4 tons on the ac side unless you have lots of shade around your house.Hope this helps.

Guest pjblurton

In a singke wide it may all be for naught if your insulation is not up to snuff...

I'd make sure I was WELL insulated before I spent the bucks on horsepower.:shake:

I also believe a packaged heat pump with a heat strip would be your most economical choice. The duct work may need to be upgraded for such a large unit and yes everything would be outside with package unit.

I have rental homes with mini-spit and PTAC’s units which is good for rentals only.

The cost varies for a packaged unit but you should be able to have it installed for under $3000.00 with no or little duct work.

I would not put in a package unit unless they put in metal ducts. No flex under a trailer. mice,cats, dogs, and raccoons will tear it up. Put in a 3 ton split system with 10kws of electric back up heat, 410a refrigerant. Your existing duct work will not handle a 3.5 or a 4 ton unit. So you will not be able to get proper air flow. Get a good unit like a Carrier or Rheem or Goodman or Payne. Do not get a Armstrong or Gibson or Aire Ease or Fedders, They will not last. Goodman and Payne are good and economical with 10 year warranty on all parts. I pmed my phone number if you have any more questions.

Guest HVAC Worker

Good info,but 1 mistake,Tempstar is the equipment I sell and install.Got to get the free plug in.Just rember,its not so much about the equipment,its more about the install.

.Just rember,its not so much about the equipment,its more about the install.

I agree to a point but, I work on alot of units and the four I name are very cheaply made. But they are not the only ones to stay away from either. I wouldnt want a tempstar either because they are hard to get parts for in Sevierville. But it may be easier in other areas.

A good install is the key.

I was eyeballing a Goodman Package Precharged R22 3.5ton with 15kw heat strips. $1900 shipped. I could do all the hard work and call my heating and air guy out just to check it out and do anything I cant. He was saying he would charge me between 4000 to 5000 installed.

Guest eyebedam

I carry Hvac equipment at my work. I can save you some cash. I have kelvinator & Gibson units. If you need it installed I got a licensed guy that will do it on the side also. How far are you from Nashville. Pm me if interested.

I was eyeballing a Goodman Package Precharged R22 3.5ton with 15kw heat strips. $1900 shipped. I could do all the hard work and call my heating and air guy out just to check it out and do anything I cant. He was saying he would charge me between 4000 to 5000 installed.

By the way Goodman will not honor the warranty if it is purchased online.

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Home/Warranty/InternetSalesVoidWarranty/tabid/594/Default.aspx

That sucks because I was going to get it here:

http://www.acwholesalers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=11164&Show=ExtInfo

They have on their page

ACWholesalers Warranty Coverage!

We are committed to ensuring your satisfaction after the sale of your home comfort system. ACWholesalers will honor 100% of all parts warranty offered by the manufacturer. If your product should ever fail within the manufacturers stated warranty period, ACWholesalers will provide those parts for you, Plus Our Vendors have committed to nationwide fulfillment for the full term of the warranty. “We have you covered!”

Oh and I live near Bristol TN about 5-6 hrs from Nashville

Edited by chipperi

Thats looks good on paper. But what if a compressor fails after 9 years. Will that company be around. And will you have to ship the compressor to them for credit. If its a good unit you wont have any trouble but there are PIA units that give trouble.

I have a customer who I gave him a price to install a steam humidifier. He ended up buying it online and hired me to install it. He saved about $75. Now,2 months later hes having trouble with it he is going to have to ship it back to the online dist. And hes paying to have it took off and put back on. If he purchased the unit off me all this would be covered.

Guest eyebedam

I can get you a similiar unit for about the same price. It will be from a local dist & carry a full warranty.