Ruger Single Six question

Major Kong

Okay, I'm going to out myself as a dumbass. I've got an old style (pre-transfer bar) Ruger Single Six that I took apart several years ago with the intent of rebluing and reassembling it. Several years later it's half stripped, still hasn't been blued AND I don't remember how to put it back together :). Anyone have any suggestions for a good gunsmith around Knoxville who can do a professional looking blue job for me (at a reasonable cost)?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure bumped into the right person.....here is what you do. If you don't know much about the gun...flash up a pic or a partial S/N just to make sure you don't have one of the lightweight versions or a flatgate. If so - you do you do NOT want to have it reblued as they you just might be a lucky owner of a rare gun. Honestly they look nice when new off the factory floor, but I am somewhat partial to old and well worn single sixes.

Here me through on this one only (and only if you intend on this being a shooter and it is uncollectable)

1 - Find out how to put it together

2 - Call Ruger and tell them you have a unconverted Single six that qualifies for the safety conversion. They will need the serial number and if it has not already converted they will send you a free, prepaid shipper to their New Hampshire factory.

3 - Make sure (I mean write down who you talk to and get a Serrvice number as well as write a note alongside the gun) to have the factory quote you a reblue while it is being converted. It usually runs $100-$150

4 - Have the service done and get your gun back

5 - They will also send you back all of your pre-transfer parts. IMPORTANT Do not lose them as they are worth $75-$100 alone.

6 - Sell them on a collector forum (I know of one :D ) if it is a shooter. This will get you the highest quality reblue for the least cost or install the old parts back if you know what you are doing and want to keep it as a showpiece. Only convert back if you know how to safely operate a pre safety model....there is a very important step you have to learn upon loading the gun. With the old parts you can 100% restore it back to factory condition as it was shipped many years ago.

Post the pictures once you have done this...would love to see it.

Edited by I_Like_Pie
You sure bumped into the right person.....here is what you do. If you don't know much about the gun...flash up a pic or a partial S/N just to make sure you don't have one of the lightweight versions or a flatgate. If so - you do you do NOT want to have it reblued as they you just might be a lucky owner of a rare gun. Honestly they look nice when new off the factory floor, but I am somewhat partial to old and well worn single sixes.

Here me through on this one only (and only if you intend on this being a shooter and it is uncollectable)

1 - Find out how to put it together

2 - Call Ruger and tell them you have a unconverted Single six that qualifies for the safety conversion. They will need the serial number and if it has not already converted they will send you a free, prepaid shipper to their New Hampshire factory.

3 - Make sure (I mean write down who you talk to and get a Serrvice number as well as write a note alongside the gun) to have the factory quote you a reblue while it is being converted. It usually runs $100-$150

4 - Have the service done and get your gun back

5 - They will also send you back all of your pre-transfer parts. IMPORTANT Do not lose them as they are worth $75-$100 alone.

6 - Sell them on a collector forum (I know of one :D ) if it is a shooter. This will get you the highest quality reblue for the least cost or install the old parts back if you know what you are doing and want to keep it as a showpiece. Only convert back if you know how to safely operate a pre safety model....there is a very important step you have to learn upon loading the gun. With the old parts you can 100% restore it back to factory condition as it was shipped many years ago.

Post the pictures once you have done this...would love to see it.

Sent you a PM. Thanks for the great response.