Accurizing HK steel rifles

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

I've been an HK fan for almost 30 years. The first rifle I bought as an adult was an HK93 in 1980 for a whopping $695.00 -- A month's pay for me back then. Since that time, I've owned maybe half a dozen 93's, a dozen 91's, but only 2 HK pistols -- A Socom Mk23 that I traded almost immediately for the Tactical.

The steel rifles are the only rifles by HK I have ever had an interest in. When West Germany rearmed in the 1950's they equiped themselves with the FNFAL - G1, this was replaced in the early 1960's by the HK G3. The civilian version imported into the US became known as the HK91. There is a lot of back story to this rifle, including several run-ins with the BATF.

As I matured, my interests went from go bang really fast, to go bang really accurately. This is why you will see rails welded to the receiver on the sniper versions like the MSG90 and PSG1. Try as I might, I couldn't get a 91 to print less than 2MOA. This is a picture of the last one I gave up on:

dsc000980wh.jpg

But I had better luck with the 93. This is due in large part to the design. It is a locking roller lug. The pressures built up inside the 91 by the 7.62x54 round twists the receiver during firing. This is not the case with the smaller brother 93/33. It uses a 5.56 round that doesn't develop the pressures and associated stresses and doesn't distort the receiver during firing.

A great thing about HK steel guns is the ability to accessorize. The modular design allows swapping out of components within seconds.

gcrookston1078082754dsc000062p.jpg

The above picture illistrates almost all of the accessories available for the 93. 3 different stocks, 2 forestocks, 2 trigger packs, various magazines from 5 to 45 rounds, a sub-calibre .22lr conversion unit, slings, sight tool, mag loaders and unloaders and light bi-pod.

However, my favorite configuration for this rifle is this:

dsc001306nt.jpg

As close as I can get, legally to this (a 33sg1 and darn, I can't get a Msg90 trigger Pac legally without paying through the nose plus a tax stamp):

33sg1.jpg

I really don't think much of the Hensoldt scopes, either the 4x or the 6x (pictured). I picked a Burris 3x9 Fullfield II for several reasons, but primarily because it would not hinder the cocking lever. Besides, finding a Hendsoldt calibrated to the 5.56 round is nearly impossible.

In the upper right corner you can see the 93 and 91 configured as spray guns:

dsc001188ey.jpg

The accuracy of the 93 is exceptional, especially for an autoloader. Two different twist rates were common with the rifle, a 1:7 (rare) or a 1:12. My particular rifle is a 1:12. It will function well up to 62 gr., but will keyhole a 77 grain bullet at 100 yards. I have found 52 gr. Black Hills will print 3/4 MOA groups @ 200 yrds.

HK discontinued the line of steel rifles at the end of the last century. PTR purchased the tooling for the G3/91. Although there are many clones out there built on cut up parts kits, the PTR is the only one I would consider for a new rifle. Springfield armory imported the HK91 as a "G3" in the 80's built by a licensed HK firm (Greece?), and another HK licensed firm from Portugual imported a G3 variant during this time.

The 93 is being reproduced now by Vector Arms, though their quality is questionable. I've examined 3 of these rifles by Vector and found serious problems such as tilted/canted gas blocks, rough/unfinished bolt carriers in 2 of the 3. Unless you are familiar with the design, I would stay away from them.

There are several down-sides to owning/shooting an HK steel rifle. First off, they are heavy. No ifsandsorbuts about it. They weigh several pounds more than their counterparts like the M14, FNFAL (for the G3/hk91), and AR15 (for the HK93/HK33). They incorporate a fluted chamber. In no way should wolf type lacquer case bullets be fired through them.

They were designed to fling the brass at 2 o'clock about 20 ft away from the shooter to conceal his position. This is a carry over from the Stg44, from which the design was based upon. This qualification requires the brass to be violently thrown by the extractor against the back lip of the ejection port, producing a crease in the brass any smart reloader would discard. There is a port buffer available from HK to fix this, but it produces extraordinary damage to the gun's finish when installed/removed and my personal belief is only an idiot would do $500.00 damage to his rifle to save 15 cents worth of brass (note the picture above of the 91, it has one installed. This was a $2,000 rifle I bought for $1,400 because of this device).

And that's about all I know about that

Edited by gcrookston
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take it! :rolleyes:

That is a nice write up. I have always loved my H&K's, I have 4, but all are pistols and will someday own an H&K rife.

You have a real nice setup and someday I hope to get setup just like it..

Thanks for sharing...

Tw

Guest gcrookston
I'll take it! :rolleyes:

That is a nice write up. I have always loved my H&K's, I have 4, but all are pistols and will someday own an H&K rife.

You have a real nice setup and someday I hope to get setup just like it..

Thanks for sharing...

Tw

let's see, $2,400 for the rifle, $200 for the scope mount, $40 per mag (times 10), $1,000 for the subcal unit, $100 for the bipod, $500 for the Psg1 trigger pack, $300 for the scope, $90.00 for the slim foregrip... should I keep counting?

I guess I bought when they were cheap. I bought the subcal unit in 1998 for $350, the last I saw on gunbroker sold for $1,000.00 just a few months ago. rediculious.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
Nice Hk's and nice Springfield!

:up:

Thanks. The M1a1 is a whole 'nother story in futility. I bought it in a pawn shop for $700 as a shot-out, worn out match rifle that I thought I would have rebuilt into "my kinda rifle"... patterned off of one I'd seen in the armory at the Amphib base at Littlecreek. It took almost a year to put it together, with the help of a retired Navy Armorer (who built many sniper rifles during the '60's and '70's for the SEAL teams). In the end, it cost too much, but shoots half moa. The only piece that is original is the receiver. Everything else has been replaced.

dsc001071jp2.jpg