M1 Garand - Trying to improve MOA

I want to accuraGlas bed my Garand stock to improve accuracy. I have an article "Accurizing an M1 Garand" by R. Craig Johnson dated 1/11/2003. It refers to diagrams in "The M-1 Rifle" a NRA publication PB 01660 that shows where to dremel cut grooves 1/4" deep and 1/8" wide to anchor bedding in stock top/bottom/inner inletting. Does anyone have a copy of these diagrams that they could provide copies? I searched NRA's website and could not find this book/pamplet to buy. I've never tried to bed a rifle before and want as much information to study before hand.

Edited by lshel
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered " The M1 Rifle" from E-bay and it had bedding diagram in it. I inletted grooves in top, inside and bottom of stock and applied Acraglass Gel to inletted areas and appiled clay to all holes/recesses and release agent to receiver/barrel and trigger housing. Now wait to tomorrow for all to set-up and I hopeful will have no problem in removing receiver/barrel and trigger group from the stock, Wish me good luck. My first try at bedding a rifle stock.

I disassembled bedding stock/receiver on Wednesday, not real difficult. It took some gentle tapping with rubber mallet and 1/2" wood towel to dislodge trigger group from inside top side and then to dislodge receive from stock tapping inside bottom side. worse part was cleaning out clay from recesses and release agent from receiver and trigger group. I also installed a Fulton Armory hooded aperature sight to replace original aperature. Took some silght file fitting of aperature to base. Next is restaining stock to a gunstock walut stain,  stock filler, then boiled linseed oil finish.

"The M1 Rifle" also has some pages on free floating the front and rear handguards to no contact barrel. If this is done then the rifle can not be handled by these handguards for stability is fragile. I do not plan on doing this. I will reassemble M1 and shoot in about a week after bedding is completely cured.

If anyone has any more suggesting, I would appreciate the input.

• 2 weeks later...

My bedding should be completely cured (week) and the boiled linseed oiled stock is finished. Now when the weather clears up, I will shoot and see if group size is reduced. I also ordered an Amega Ranges M1 Scout Scope mount so I can use a scope with my 60+ years eyes. This should give be a better idea of any reduced group size at 100 yds.

I've shot the M1 at 100 yds after bedding and adding hooded .0595" aperature sight. Grouping improved but with 65+ eyes and glasses, groups tended to move horizontal.

I have a Amega Ranges Scout scope mount ordered. This is suppose to also reduce barrel harmonics the way it is fastened to barrel. I'm hoping with a scope, I'll be more consistent and MOA will be more rifle than my eyesight/rifle. I have some pistol variable scopes upto 4 power and some higher powered rifle scopes to try. I'm afraid a rifle scope maybe in way of case ejecting.

Edited by lshel

Shot at 100 yds from bench using Canadian 150g M2 Ball with 2.75x Burris Scout scope. I shot 16 rounds, 2 clips. 5 rounds to sight in and last 11 rds grouped good.

I'm satisfied with bedding and Amega Ranges Scout Mount.

DSC_0002.jpg

Start reloading,..

168 or a 173 SMK with IMR-4064 powder

heck my 147 fmj with IMR-4895 handloads (ball equiv.) outshoot surplus so almost any well built handload will improve your groups

I am sure the Gurus can tell you why the rifle is grouping horizontally

John