Firearms fashion show highlights importance of gun safety

http://fox59.com/2015/03/07/firearms-fashion-show-highlights-importance-of-gun-safety/

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 7, 2105) – Indianapolis women got a first hand look Saturday at new fashionable ways to safely conceal guns.

The Fashion and Firearms Concealed Carry Extravaganza is the first of it’s kind in Indianapolis. More than 300 women of all ages and walks of life attended the interactive event raising money to support local Well Armed Woman chapters.

Models walked the runway, showing off trendy ways to carry a gun. Event organizers say the idea of the event is to make sure women have fashionable options while carrying.

Indianapolis women got a first-hand look Saturday at new fashionable ways to safely conceal guns.

The Fashion and Firearms Concealed Carry Extravaganza is the first of its kind in Indianapolis. More than 300 women of all ages and walks of life attended the interactive event raising money to support local Well Armed Woman chapters.

Models walked the runway, showing off trendy ways to carry a gun. Event organizers say the idea of the event is to make sure women have fashionable options while carrying.

“There are ways to carry, whether you’re wearing a cocktail dress, shorts and a tank top,” explains Cathy Brown, event co-chair.

The focus of the event is on safety. Last month, a Michigan woman died when a gun she was carrying in a bra holster, misfired.

“That’s why we’re doing this. It’s all about safety. There are four rules to gun safety and when all four rules are followed, accidents are very unlikely to happen,” says Brown.

The four rules of gun safety are:

1. Treat every gun as if it’s loaded. (Even if you know it’s not).
  2. Never point a gun at anyone or anything you’re not willing to destroy.
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you’re ready to fire.
  4. Know your target and what’s behind it.

The event is also about empowering women. Dawn Hillyer purchased a gun a few years ago because of a stalker she had for six years.

“I never thought I would be a gun person. It’s about protection and women taking control and being your own hero and being able to protect yourself,” Hillyer says.

She started her business, Hiding Hilda, to help other women become inspired to protect themselves. Her purse designs offer a special compartment for guns. Profits help sponsor scholarships for law enforcement on stalker training. Her case was the first in Indiana. She says it’s what prompted her to get a gun and since then, other women have followed her lead.

“He gets out of prison in 2017 and I’m not going to live like that again. I’m not gonna run. I’m not gonna hide. I’m gonna stand right up,” Hillyer says.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days