Relationship between Yotes and Whitetails!

Wanting to tap into the expertise on the forum here....

I was noticing last fall some areas that I had scouted had plenty of deer and as the season approached...all I saw was about 4 coyotes.....

Also, another property where I had taken my doe and my brother-in-law bagged his 10 point was covered with deer...the last couple of weeks of the season...nothing. I noticed on my final opportunity to hunt the property, after a long cold morning of nothing...a couple HUGE coyotes wandering the treelines...

So, the question is....when I see yotes should I not expect to see any whitetails?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMLE (in my limited experience) the two are not mutually exclusive at all. I have been hunting and watched deer walk a ridgetop with a coyote trailing 100 yards behind or so. The deer would turn and look at the yote every now and then to let him know he wasn't fooling anyone, but other than that, the deer carried on as normal.

I've seen stuff like that before.

I believe coyotes are in certain area for a reason; they are hunters and are always looking for a meal. I have watched a coyote stalk my fawn decoy for 20 minutes until he touch it and ran off.

I wouldn’t let them discourage me from hunting an area. I have seen them both in the same field at the same time, the deer are jumpy but usually don’t go far.

Yeah I would and have deer hunted areas I have coyote hunted. Coyotes will but not often kill a grown deer. Coyotes are onmivores they do eat meat and berries and are mostly scavangers eating on dead, young, sick or wounded prey. I have also seen coyotes and deer in the woods at the same time and the deer payed little attention to him. I am not saying coyotes won't kill if they are starving. If the food source is good then there is going to be a good balance.

Guest Jcochran88
Yeah I would and have deer hunted areas I have coyote hunted. Coyotes will but not often kill a grown deer. Coyotes are onmivores they do eat meat and berries and are mostly scavangers eating on dead, young, sick or wounded prey. I have also seen coyotes and deer in the woods at the same time and the deer payed little attention to him. I am not saying coyotes won't kill if they are starving. If the food source is good then there is going to be a good balance.

+1