Building Remington 870 HD - maybe

Ok. I have the Express receiver and Pachmayr pistol and forearm grip. I will be ditching the pistol grip though. The current tube only holds 4 (2 3/4" and 3").

First thing to get is a barrel. I want good sights- preferably ghost-ring, but have 3 options:

1- Get a reg bead sight barrel, and add ghost ring sights with the rear sight mounted on the receiver. (most expensive option)

2- Buy a barrel with sights already on it. Is the reduced sight radius of any real concern?

3- Get a heat shield with with ghost-ring sights. Seems a little iffy to me, but MUCH cheaper.... SHT-007 - ATI Shotforce Deluxe Shotgun Heat Shield Cooling Slots Ghost Ring Sight

I would also be adding a mag tube extension right away. I prefer that it not protrude past the barrel. So may need to get a 18.5" barrel instead of 18"? Not sure how to determine that.

I have found some 870's and a Mossberg 590 locally, but none have the ghost-ring sights. And they are too expensive to have to invest that much more money in. Would bring the total to $500ish :-\

Thanks for any tips or advice :(

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go cheap. Pickup an ugly 870. Chop barrel to 19". Do the home bake parkerizing. Add a speedfeed IV stock. For sights, go with the ATI heatshield or something else that's relatively cheap. This setup will set you back about $300 for receiver, barrel, stock and stuff.

I appreciate the tips :)

So you don't think those heat shield sights will suck too bad? I wouldn't be out much if i had to replace them later i guess.

I'm really digging Hickok's 870. Though i do want to keep it as cheap as possible as you suggested.

Gotta love Hickok's vids. Such cool toyz in his vids, and he definitely knows how to use em...

You might consider a vent rib barrel. Add aftermarket sights that attach to the rib. Or just a hi viz bead.

The Remington factory magazines extensions are about 3/4 of an inch longer than the aftermarket. A 2 shot factory extension would go beyond a 18" barrel. The aftermarket extensions ( I like Choate) don't have that extra length and will come out even with a 18" barrel

I never cut a barrel shorter than 18 1/2 inches. Gives you something to work with if the crown is not right and even a moron can tell it's not shorter than legal length.

Consider a 20" barrel and 3 shot extension.

Great info, 141FE. And clears up my concern over the length of the mag extensions :D

I'm kinda stuck on the idea of getting a heat shield, and would really like to get ghost ring sites one way or the other. Hoping the ones on the ATI heat shield will be accurate and durable enough to last me a while.

Guest Linoge

Ok, so I have a Rem 870 18.5 incher with a 6-round tube, and it came that way from the factory. The tube extends just a smidgen past the barrel, but not enough to really be a concern.

Things I would strongly reocmmend are a KNOXX recoil-reducing stock (the thing is great), and some kind of better sight - not something complicated, I just stuck on a TruGlo Glo-Dot thing, but at least better than a little brass ball. Rifle-like sites are really unnecessary for a home-defense shotguns - at the ranges you would hypothetically be operating, you will mostly be using the barrel to aim. Apart from that, I slapped on a side saddle and a few other gadgets (the full list is here), but keep it simple, keep it non-catchy (no slings, no sharp edges, etc.), and keep it easy to operate (you might be using this thing in the middle of the night, barely conscious).

Nice! Really dig what you built, and will study that list you got there. I would like to start out with something like you started with, and maybe build it up as funds allow. I dunno.... Looks like a great blog you have there, btw :cool:

Edit:

I'm starting to think i would like to make this gun something that could go beyond home defense now. If i could find a good plinking spot around here, i would like to have something capable of more than just hd :grouchy:

Edited by Ninja9
Guest Linoge

Thanks, on both counts. But what I listed is just a starting point... there are other/better/more items you can strap on :popcorn:.

Well, i bit the bullet (or shell??) and sprung on a nice new 870 like Linoge started out with. This will be more than adequate for now, and will be fun to build up over time.... Made a little trade with Classic Arms in Cordova for it, and they treated me well - as usual.... They also put some Trijicon night sights on my g-26 (also from Classic Arms) today..... Yeah. It was a good day :popcorn:

Thanks, on both counts. But what I listed is just a starting point... there are other/better/more items you can strap on :).

Heh... I'll keep that in mind, but I still like what ya got on it :up:

Guest ImTheDude

Anybody that owns the 870HD, do you have any recommendations on what the best forend pistol grip is for it? I bought the ATI, but after getting it installed it was too tight and I could not eject a shell. Any help?