Sig Mosquito Accuracy

Guest foister82

Guest foister82

Hello again, it's your resident newbie again! Posting more questions for the shooting masses.

Im having an issue with my new mosquito. I am deadly innacurate with this thing. And by deadly innacurate, i mean if i were shooting down range, it's so innacurate i might actually shoot myself. (jk) but seriously, i dont even want to quote groups, as they're so bad sometimes im not even hitting my target :popcorn:

Shooting an XDM .40 i have groups of about 4" from the same range. I figure it might have something to do with the way that the grip and trigger safety work on the thing making you hold the gun right, but why would i be that innacurate with the mosquito? And it's not like "you're shooting up and to the right" but more like "you're all over the place."

I dont really think it's a big matter of the gun; a guy at the range shot it and was pretty darn accurate with it. But i feel like i cant hit the broad side of the barn. I LOVE my mosquito, it's so much fun! but, what tips can you guys suggest that might help me out?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bang-flash

I have a Mosquito and it still doesn't really shoot where I want it either. For me I found the front sight blade was loose in the slide. I also shoot cheap stuff thru it so that probably has an effect as well.

Wish I had gotten something else instead.

Guest JavaGuy
I have a Mosquito and it still doesn't really shoot where I want it either. For me I found the front sight blade was loose in the slide. I also shoot cheap stuff thru it so that probably has an effect as well.

Wish I had gotten something else instead.

Grin... Give you $100 each for your respective Mosquitos... Out of the goodness of my heart and just so you don't have to shoot those horrendous groups (groups?? Areas??) anymore.

Edited by JavaGuy
Adding the rest of my thought.
Guest Mugster

I benchrested mine several times. I found that it was extremely accurate, beyond my expectations. The sights aren't the best.

I don't know what to tell you in terms of what to do, but potentially, the sig is a great shooter.

The sights are pretty crappy on the Skeeter. I shot better with a Beretta Neos, Ruger Mark III, and SW 22A. Then again, I wasn't clearing a malfunction every two seconds with the last 3 pistols. Frustration makes you shoot pretty bad too.

Guest foister82

honestly i havent had any of the malfunction issues since picking the gun up. I have been using nothing but CCI MiniMags though so that's probably why. I went today and put a few more rounds through after cleaning the gun and found that i am shooting the gun way wrong. The trigger is not the greatest obviously, and i was pulling more than i was squeezing. I shoot the xdm 40 alot better because the grip safety kinda makes it required to squeeze vs pull (which is why i was so way off all the time)

had an ex cop of 40+ years there with me at the range and he gave me several pointers including showing me standard stances and putting less focus on my stance and more on my stability. I let him shoot a few and he was plinking a soda can from 30 yards with the skeeter. Atleast i know it's not so much my gun but more me needing practice :eek:

Guest Crunchman

When I first got my "skeeter", I was all over the target. Took a bit of a learning curve to get it right. Mostly in the way I held it and using a very fine sight picture. I also learned that it really likes the high velocity rounds over standard speed.

Guest SigGrl

I am exactly the same with with the Mosquito. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I'm accurate with my P6 and my Taurus PT1911. I'm just glad to know, it's not just me.

you want to make sure your front sight is fastened good (i lost one at the range once after 500 or so rounds) i changed mine with the tall one (to get over the can) but it works perfect with cci mini mags no problem no malfunction and very accurate i traded in a ruger 22/45 bull barrel on it and this is just as accuate just takes getting use to the sloppy trigger

Guest foister82

i have to admit this gun has a nasty trigger, wish there was an option there (i'd be willing to put some money into the trigger if i knew of a good replacement possibility, cause i love the gun) but im finding myself more and more accurate with the thing as i practice squeezing instead of pulling.

The biggest help was my brother. He's a Sheriffs deputy and did his little training exercise with me where i face the target and he puts in either an empty mag, full mag, mag with 1 shot, 3 shot, 5 shot etc etc. On the empty mag, i was pulling trigger making the barrel move down and to the left just slightly. Right there's my biggest problem and it's something im working on daily.

Guest foister82

i go strictly CCI minimags but i hear the winchester superX works great too and come in a 500 bulk brick for $15... i have yet to see them though