Competitive shooters and anybody elses input. Looking for some suggestions.

Guest redbarron06

Guest redbarron06

I send my child to a private shool. I do this for several reasons but I won't get into that on this thread.

As a private school most of the extra activities have very little funding and other than your major sports, everything else is up to parents, volunteers and the kids.

So here is what I am thinking that might have some intrest in my daughters school. A marksmenship team. I am thinking maybe trap and skeet to start but maybe branch off into some precision rifle and action handgun (IDPA, USPSA, or steel) and maybe even archery. Nothing super fancy like unlimited class but mostly stock or factory.

Now I know nothing about trap and skeet and not much more about the handgun stuff but, I am willing to educate myself and volunteer my time to try to get this going for the school and the kids. I also have some ideas. We have a couple of gun makers here in TN that we might be able to get some discounts for team hardware and one of the head dudes for a local trap and skeet club actually has a child in the school.

So how would you start and at what ages. The school does K3 (three year olds) through 12th grades. I am thinking K3 is a bit too young maybe 1st or 2nd grade. Start out with something like mid to high end Airsofts that very close to actual guns. I figure with a little sheet metal and a few airsoft guns I could easily build a steel challenge course indoors for younger shooters. Because you get either a hit or a miss and it does not have to be super accurate to score and it is fast moving it would get get the kids excited about it. Maybe move up to a pistol with a .22 conversion kit in say 3rd or 4th grade and on up as they grow. This would also start them out early with proper gun safety, which would of course be a major part of the teaching.

Also I have seen on TV that some of these younger shooters are actually sponsored by companies like Glock, Springfield, and others. I am not sure how the sponsership works but I think that it might help some of these kids get through collage and coule really help the sport grow.

What do you guys think? What type of suggestions would you have? Would you let your child take part in something like this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06
I think you've got a great idea! Do you have the support of other parents at the school? You might need that. :no1:

Contact the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). They may be able to help you out. It's what they do.

I am sure that some will support it and some wont any subject will be like that. I actually come up with this idea about an hour before I posted it here. I was sitting at my daughters dance meeting :no1: when it hit me.

Guest redbarron06
I think its a great idea.. but wouldn't current laws preclude the kids & teachers from being able to bring a .22 on campus? even in a private/parochial school?

Well I am not sure about that because I know that in some schools the JROTC programs are using 22 rifles for the marksmenship training. I also know of a private range that is only about 8 miles from the school and an indoor range right up the street.

Well I am not sure about that because I know that in some schools the JROTC programs are using 22 rifles for the marksmenship training. I also know of a private range that is only about 8 miles from the school and an indoor range right up the street.

Yea... forget what I said, instructional use is A-OK! :no1:

Second school carry is generally prohibited under 39-17-1309 which in part states:

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

Guest Muttling

I don't know the details, but the high school I teach at is very rural and we have two marksmanship teams.

An archery team that practices on campus and a skeet team that practices at a local range.

As I mentioned, I don't know the details of how to make it happen but I do know that it can be done.

Guest redbarron06
I don't know the details, but the high school I teach at is very rural and we have two marksmanship teams.

An archery team that practices on campus and a skeet team that practices at a local range.

As I mentioned, I don't know the details of how to make it happen but I do know that it can be done.

How do they deal with the liability of one of the members (of the skeet team) snapping and trying a VT type incident? I ask because I also posted this on another forum and one of teh members there brought it up. I had not considered it until then.