Places around Memphis to shoot .223

Guest SMZRU275

Guest SMZRU275

Where in the Memphis or surrounding area can you go shoot .223/5.56 ?

Have done Range USA once, but the last two times I've been they were out of the frangible ammo you have to buy to shoot there, and I asked today and was told they are hoping to get some in by Saturday, but as of right now nothing.

I know the Natchez outdoor range is about 2hours from here.

I am going to look into joining the Desoto Rifle and Pistol club next year since my AR is complete now.

But for right now, any suggestions or help?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Brighton Arms is a gun shop 45 minutes or so north. They have an indoor range and you can shoot .223 there. To my knowledge that is the only place within the Memphis area that you can shoot a long gun any day of the week and not pay some big membership fee.

Guest Revelator

Really?? I used to stop in there from time to time, shoot some, even bought a couple guns there. Huh. Well, I did notice that their selection was rather lacking the last few times I was there. Geez, I really need to get some of my own land that I can shoot on.

Guest Revelator

AR night at RUSA blows. Don't they make you use not only their ammo, but also their magazines? They were doing that a few months ago. (The rounds were pre-loaded into the mags, and you "bought" however many magazines you wanted to shoot at $.50 a round.) So if you've got a new kind of ammo you want to try, and some new magazines, you're still out of luck.

Guest SMZRU275
Memphis sport shooting association. You have to be a member but if you want to come with me a guest sometime PM me.

Memphis Sport Shooting Association

I've look at their site before, looks like a great facility just not affordable right now for a college student.

P. Stegall--YEA RUSA is $15 for one of their steel mags with 30 rounds of frangible .223

malbolja--That range locator doesn't even list RUSA for rifle.

Guest Jeremey

Brighton Arms closed a month or two ago. I have a brand new ar15 that I have been trying to find a place to test fire for a couple of months now. I guess I need to look into MSSA.

Guest MemphisJim1

DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club's range east of Hernando will close for the year at the end of October, as it does annually. It'll re-open in the Spring. The land for the facility is leased and goes dormant for hunting season. The club is purchasing a large tract in Tate County that should open on a limited basis sometime in November. The club intends to operate both facilities at least through next year, with the Tate County range being a year-round facility.

Guest db99wj

Brighton Arms is in fact closed.

Here's the sign

Pictures1507.jpg

Here's what's left in the front end.

Pictures1510.jpg

Range USA does require you to use their frangible ammo and preloaded magazines, when they have ammo. Reason is, their backstop won't stop a round that is that fast, thus the requirement of frangible ammo. Back stop is only rated up to some feet per second. The "use their magazine" is a newer policy. They use to just give you the ammo and you load your own magazines, but due to people going in, and shooting their own ammo (non frangible) and punching holes into the backstop or ceiling, or the metal framing that the target system is attached to, they decided to do that instead of stopping AR night. So due to people not following the rules, the rules became more strict. The backstop capability is also why you can't shoot any other rifle caliber there. Notice I said rifle caliber, not rifle. If you have a rifle, chambered in a pistol caliber, you can shoot it.