Ghost Trigger For SR9

I've been reading about the Ghost Inc. trigger mod for SR9's, but haven't heard from anyone that has actually installed one. My SR9 already has a pretty good trigger feel, but I'd like to lighten & smooth it out a little more than just polishing can do. Has anybody installed one into their SR9? Which did you use and what difference did it make?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working with one right now.

So far I'm not impressed, maybe it's me or my pistol (purchased new and have 950 rounds through it.).

I opted for the Ultimate because it said it was a "drop-in" part. About as much a "drop-in" as putting a header on a bike. Well, maybe not that intense but I did have to fit and re-fit, polish and re-polish. At one point I had no trigger at all, re-installed and it worked, don't know what I did different, it's not that complicated once you take it apart.

All said and done it felt crisper than the stock but the pull was about the same.

I been working on it tonight and now have the stock one back in.

May go through the routine again, sitting here debating.

I should have got the Rocket because now I'm very comfortable taking this gun apart, the task is pretty simple.

I would measure your trigger pull before and after to see your difference, mine went to 8lbs with the Ultimate, may be me, my gun, I haven't figured it out yet.

Edited by kieefer
I'm working with one right now.

So far I'm not impressed, maybe it's me or my pistol (purchased new and have 950 rounds through it.).

I opted for the Ultimate because it said it was a "drop-in" part. About as much a "drop-in" as putting a header on a bike. Well, maybe not that intense but I did have to fit and re-fit, polish and re-polish. At one point I had no trigger at all, re-installed and it worked, don't know what I did different, it's not that complicated once you take it apart.

All said and done it felt crisper than the stock but the pull was about the same.

I been working on it tonight and now have the stock one back in.

May go through the routine again, sitting here debating.

I should have got the Rocket because now I'm very comfortable taking this gun apart, the task is pretty simple.

I would measure your trigger pull before and after to see your difference, mine went to 8lbs with the Ultimate, may be me, my gun, I haven't figured it out yet.

Let me know if you get it all worked out. Kinda makes me a little hesitant to buy one. They brag a lot about a simple drop in part that can make your trigger pull 5 lbs. or 3.5 lbs on their website. They say the angle of the new part makes the difference, but so far the only place I've heard good news about them is on their own site. Anybody can brag about their own stuff & I wanted to hear about real world results. Thanks kieefer.

I sent my complaint through their website and the President emailed me back. He offered to exchange the part and I mailed it back Fri..

So far customer service is GREAT!

We'll see.

If you don't mind, keep me informed. I'm really curious about these trigger mods.

Edited by luvmyberetta
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Sgt. Joe

I cant say for sure but I heard that if you have one of the first version SR9's that Ruger will install one of the newer triggers for free for ya. I dont know the serial numbers involved or even if it is true or not but it sure is worth a call to find out.

I think it was here that someone posted about the the three versions of triggers that they have, maybe you can find it with the search. I figured out from that post that my full size had version 2 and my "c" had version 3 which is the current one I think. And I am not sure if the version 1 was the one that was replaced when they were recalled or if those versions that were described were all after the initial recall a few years ago.

I do know that I have read somewhere that Ruger gave someone a free newer version, I just cant recall where I read it or exactly what all it involved.

My SR9 already had the upgrade when I bought it.

I the received another Ultimate from Ghost though the exchange. I installed it "as is"....as in a drop-in part as described in their ad. It didn't work, no trigger at all, locked so to speak.

Again I swapped it out 5 times with the stock part with no change, stocks works, Ghost doesn't. Explained this again to Ghost and he hasn't offered to refund.

I going to polish the edges before the weekend with hopes of re-fitting it again.

It's almost like it's too long because I can reset the trigger without the slide in place and dry fire it. Once the slide is in place the trigger won't reset or pull.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll try give another update.

I cant say for sure but I heard that if you have one of the first version SR9's that Ruger will install one of the newer triggers for free for ya. I dont know the serial numbers involved or even if it is true or not but it sure is worth a call to find out.

I think it was here that someone posted about the the three versions of triggers that they have, maybe you can find it with the search. I figured out from that post that my full size had version 2 and my "c" had version 3 which is the current one I think. And I am not sure if the version 1 was the one that was replaced when they were recalled or if those versions that were described were all after the initial recall a few years ago.

I do know that I have read somewhere that Ruger gave someone a free newer version, I just cant recall where I read it or exactly what all it involved.

I have the second SR9 version, made after the recall. Its a pretty smooth trigger except for that annoying 'snap' at the end of the pull. I polished and cleaned the internal firing parts and smoothed it out a bit, but want to lighten the pull to about 4-5lbs. I contacted Ruger hoping to get a gen 3 trigger installed or shipped, but they said they do not install the newer version triggers & certainly not for free. The free service is only for factory warranted parts and recalled firearms. This was sent to me by email from Ruger "Sturm, Ruger does not offer conversion kits for our pistols and will not change one from their original, factory specifications." Oh well. The Ghost trigger mods only cost $20-$30 depending on the version you want, but they sound a little too good to be true. They claim an instant drop to either 5 or 3.5 lbs just by adding their trigger bar. They claim you don't even have to change springs. I may just break down and give 'em a try. Thanks for the input.

I own an SR9c and checked out the Ghost sight for their Ultimate drop in. I am pretty skeptical about the instant drop in trigger weight. I'm not a smith but I don't see how a "Factory Polish" and the "Patent Pending Debris Channel" (fancy word for hole) could drop 3-4 lbs from a trigger. You still have the factory striker spring and trigger bar spring which work against each other and determine the trigger weight more than anything I think.

I'm pretty happy as is but I am interested in their Tactical trigger control bar. It has an extra tab that prevents over-travel after the break. I am not such a skilled marksman that I think I would be any more accurate but I'm still curious.

My SR9 already had the upgrade when I bought it.

I the received another Ultimate from Ghost though the exchange. I installed it "as is"....as in a drop-in part as described in their ad. It didn't work, no trigger at all, locked so to speak.

Again I swapped it out 5 times with the stock part with no change, stocks works, Ghost doesn't. Explained this again to Ghost and he hasn't offered to refund.

I going to polish the edges before the weekend with hopes of re-fitting it again.

It's almost like it's too long because I can reset the trigger without the slide in place and dry fire it. Once the slide is in place the trigger won't reset or pull.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll try give another update.

Oh, man. That doesn't sound good. I hope it works out well for you. I know nearly anything that says 'drop-in' usually isn't, but keep me posted. I'd like to see how this progresses. Maybe with a little tweaking it will work for you. If nothing else, maybe Ghost Inc. will stand behind their "No BS Return Policy" they always brag about.

I own an SR9c and checked out the Ghost sight for their Ultimate drop in. I am pretty skeptical about the instant drop in trigger weight. I'm not a smith but I don't see how a "Factory Polish" and the "Patent Pending Debris Channel" (fancy word for hole) could drop 3-4 lbs from a trigger. You still have the factory striker spring and trigger bar spring which work against each other and determine the trigger weight more than anything I think.

I'm pretty happy as is but I am interested in their Tactical trigger control bar. It has an extra tab that prevents over-travel after the break. I am not such a skilled marksman that I think I would be any more accurate but I'm still curious.

The one with the trigger control bar is the one I'm interested in too. I emailed Ghost about the weight drop, but haven't heard back yet. Their site claims it has to do with the bar angle, but I wonder if you might have to replace a spring to achieve real world results? I've heard a few guys on the Ruger forum talking about trimming the striker spring a coil or two to get a lighter pull, but don't like the idea of cutting springs to drop trigger weight. I'd rather have a heavy pull and my pistol go bang than a light pull and just hear 'click'!

I got a call from Ruger this morning about it. They said the factory trigger pull should be 8 lbs + or - 1lb either way. He said if the pull weight is over 9 or less than 7, to send it in for a check & they could work on it, but not modify it beyond factory specs. He also said the newer gen 3 triggers will not work in any of the older SR9's with gen 1 or 2 triggers...but there is a ray of hope.

On the Ruger forum last night I was introduced to a very interesting site that made me drool! It's dedicated completely to Ruger SR9 performance parts, including full trigger & spring kits and 19+1 round & 23+1 round mag conversions! Their site is www.gallowayprecision.com There's also a guy that makes impressive looking stainless steel guide rods for the SR9 - Steve Bedair at www.guiderod.com

I believe I found the problem. Compare these two pictures, doesn't the Ultimate look longer? It is by .03.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

I'm passing my discovery on to Mr. Viani, Pres. of Ghost.

Edited by kieefer
hundredths, not thousandths
Guest Sgt. Joe
I got a call from Ruger this morning about it. They said the factory trigger pull should be 8 lbs + or - 1lb either way. He said if the pull weight is over 9 or less than 7, to send it in for a check & they could work on it, but not modify it beyond factory specs. He also said the newer gen 3 triggers will not work in any of the older SR9's with gen 1 or 2 triggers...but there is a ray of hope.

On the Ruger forum last night I was introduced to a very interesting site that made me drool! It's dedicated completely to Ruger SR9 performance parts, including full trigger & spring kits and 19+1 round & 23+1 round mag conversions! Their site is www.gallowayprecision.com There's also a guy that makes impressive looking stainless steel guide rods for the SR9 - Steve Bedair at www.guiderod.com

Yea it has been a long while since I was on the Ruger site so I guess I need to head on over and see what I have missed, IIRC one of the members here is the Admin there.

Also I think the idea that I did not have any experience to speak of with handguns when I decided to start carrying it made it easier for me to simply adjust to the triggers on what ever pistols I have bought, if one does not know any better they have nothing to compare something to and therefore nothing to complain about.:tough:

But I always did and still do like the way the SR9 felt in my hands and shot so I have never really thought much about making any changes to it.

Good luck to all of you who are trying to make upgrades, even if I am not real interested in such myself I do pay attention to these Ruger threads. It wasnt a conscience thing but I have ended up with 4 already which is more than any other brand I own so far and I do see a few more in the future.;)

I just recieved an email from Arthur Viani at Ghost Inc. I emailed him asking about a few SR9 trigger bar problems I had heard about. His reply :

"The version of the Ruger trigger bar does not matter.

There some cases of problems with our product, all of the ones we have had

the chance to examine have had their Ruger trigger bar polished.

What we have found is that the Ruger trigger bars have a surface that is

hardened. This works great but is not good for polishing.

It appears that polishing removes enough material to affect the hardness,

exposing the softer part of the steel. This can cause flat spots, galling or

lockup as you stated.

What we have found is that you should not polish any internals of the Ruger

SR series pistols, just shoot them with oil on the contact points and after

200-500 rounds the parts will mate and everything smooth's out."

Still sound promising. Mr. Viani suggested trying the Rocket. He said they have had great results with it. I may give Ghost a try before doing any polishing. There's another company starting to produce SR9 trigger bars & custom SR9 parts, but I've not heard anything on them yet as far as real world performance. I may wait a bit longer and see how 'kieefer's' SR9 project turns out. Best of luck to you 'kieefer'. Keep us all posted.

Edited by luvmyberetta

Mr. Viani has been working with other guns in his shop including the SR9 to duplicate my problem. He feels the Tactical would solve my issue and has one coming my way. The Tactical requires some filing for a proper fit (this one reduces over-travel too), shouldn't be any problem for me since I've become a master of dismantling the SR9. :cool:

BTW, I polished the mating surfaces of my stock trigger bar to the point that they look like chrome. :D

IMG_0557.jpg

Galloway Precision has a new kit for sale that converts the older generation 2 triggers into the new gen. 3 SR9 trigger version. It comes with new trigger bar, striker blocker, new striker crosspin and springs. The older gen. 2 SR's has a factory pull of around 8 lbs. +or- 1 lb, according to Ruger. The upgrade kit is suppost to smooth things out and drop pull weight to around 6-6.5 lbs! That combined with Ghost trigger bar might get us down to the advertised weight 3.5-5 lbs, depending on trigger bar chosen.

Guest Sgt. Joe
When I do it's usually with my shoulder holster. I love my Fobus because I can leave the laser or light attached, but have to wear a long shirt or jacket or it draws attention. I know open carry is ok, but some people freak out when they see a pistol...especially these days! :D:panic:

So how do you like the Viridian? My gun came with a 50% off coupon but it has long since expired but I have still considered getting one. I ended up putting the Laserlyte sights on my "c" and like them just fine but they are only a laser with no light, IIRC the Viridain is both correct?

My Viridian is laser only. They have dedicated and universal models with both a light & laser, though. I used the 50% off coupon on mine too. Many people don't like green lasers because some brands have a reputation of failing in cold weather, but the Viridian isn't one of those cheap "gun show specials" you see so often. Mine has never failed to work. There's a reason they aren't cheap.