I need help with a stuck .22 rimfire case!!!

I recently acquired my deceased father's old Stevens Model 87A rifle. Upon close inspection I noticed that there is (what appears to be) a live round stuck in the tubular magazine just below the bolt. I have tried to remove the round but have been unsuccessful thus far. Since it is a rimfire cartridge I have not applied too much pressure on the round or went smacking on it with anything. The lower third of the round is visible beneath the bolt and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to remove it WITHOUT disassembling the firearm? Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually... no... you cannot open the bolt. As you pull the bolt back, the piece that feeds the round up begins to move and therefore comes in contact with the side of the stuck case. I will see what I can try to come up with picture wise and post them later.

Guest gunslinger707

JimmyJoe take the gun apart and see if you can remove the shell from the bottom or get a better look at what's holding it in.

Edit: Thelifter spring may be broke .

Edited by gunslinger707
edited to correct spelling!
Guest c.a.s.

Does the magazine load in a way similar to that of other tube-fed .22LRs? Pulling out that tube (note: for a lack of better term) may help a little.

Yes... I have disassembled the lifter/lifter spring and it's housing. And yes... the magazine is similar to the old tube fed magazines such as the ones on the Marlin Model 60 that I am sure everyone has owned at one time. I have determined that what seems to be holding it is the housing that the lifter passes up through. But I cannot seem to get that housing out without doing some serious prying.