I'm Thinking About Building A 10/22

As the title states, I'm thinking (just thinkin) about building a 10/22 from scratch. I have priced some parts (via the web) individually, but I hope that someone may be able to point me in the direction of a local store where I may be able to get a better deal if I were to buy all the parts from him/her.

Know of anyone, please let me know.

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halfpint

I can't point out a store or anything, but building one from scratch gets expensive quickly . . . advice I got from the manager at the shop where I work is to buy a base-model 10/22 and build it into what you want--a good receiver alone is the same price as the rifle, and the factory receiver is fine to start with.

Proven plan for a custom 10/22 that I'm in the process of following, myself . . . Buy a WalMart/Bass Pro special, swap out the stock and barrel for what you would like, and get a drop-in trigger. MidwayUSA(.com) has a lot of stock/barrel combos for reasonable prices, as well as anything else you would like to add.

I picked up all my parts already, a few at a time, and now I'm just biding my time 'til the next Bass Pro sale--a base-model 10/22 is about the only thing in the entire Bass Pro store that I can't buy cheaper at work.

Guest jcramin
I can't point out a store or anything, but building one from scratch gets expensive quickly . . . advice I got from the manager at the shop where I work is to buy a base-model 10/22 and build it into what you want--a good receiver alone is the same price as the rifle, and the factory receiver is fine to start with.

Proven plan for a custom 10/22 that I'm in the process of following, myself . . . Buy a WalMart/Bass Pro special, swap out the stock and barrel for what you would like, and get a drop-in trigger. MidwayUSA(.com) has a lot of stock/barrel combos for reasonable prices, as well as anything else you would like to add.

I picked up all my parts already, a few at a time, and now I'm just biding my time 'til the next Bass Pro sale--a base-model 10/22 is about the only thing in the entire Bass Pro store that I can't buy cheaper at work.

SHhhhhhh BASS PRO has it on sale NOW.... dont let it get out untill I get mine.

J

Guest jcramin

Im going today after work to pick one up for me.

I was going to get it from 1/2pint, untill he said thats the only thing he cant get cheaper than Bass LOL

J

Guest jcramin

I stopped at Bass Pro last night about 5 pm went to the gun counter and noone was around except two cute girls behind the counter Candie and Ashley. I was outa there with my gun in hand in less than 30 minutes.

Guest atomemphis

I have customized the hell out of my 10/22. I'll post a picture when I get home. The generals are:

Stardard Carbine 10/22

Bell & Carlson Anschutz-style Stock (Black)

Mueller APV Scope

ER Shaw Helical Fluted Blued 20" Bull Barrel (0.920")

Titanium Auto Bolt Release

Extended Mag Release & Bolt Handle

Volquartsen (or Power Custom - don't recall) Extractor

Recoil Buffer

Volquartsen Stabilzation Module (for looks and protection of barrel crown really - can't tell a difference in accuracy).

There is other stuff I can't recall out of the blue. Working on the trigger group next.

Everything you could ever want to know is at RimFireCentral. Those forums are great, and the 10/22 section is large and full of knowledge.

Parts you can get from MidwayUSA or HawkTech Arms. (HTA is fast and has great service).

You can get a good billet or other custom receiver online for about the price of the el-cheapo 10/22. Beware new Ruger 10/22's and ensure yours does not come with plastic parts if you buy a Ruger 10/22. There are complete trigger groups that are very well tuned and come with extended mag releases and auto-bolt releases as well as adjustable sears and light, crisp trigger pulls.

There are a zillion barrel manufacturers - avoid the lightweight carbon fiber - its great on go-fast motorcycles, but the heat retention messes up accuracy if you are shooting a lot. There lightweight aluminum barrels and short barrels that are pre-threaded for a silencer as well.

Just, before you purchase anything - read up some reviews on each part at Rimfire Central forums. There is nothing you'll do with a 22lr that they have not tried a dozen times before.

I have customized the hell out of my 10/22. I'll post a picture when I get home. The generals are:

Stardard Carbine 10/22

Bell & Carlson Anschutz-style Stock (Black)

Mueller APV Scope

ER Shaw Helical Fluted Blued 20" Bull Barrel (0.920")

Titanium Auto Bolt Release

Extended Mag Release & Bolt Handle

Volquartsen (or Power Custom - don't recall) Extractor

Recoil Buffer

Volquartsen Stabilzation Module (for looks and protection of barrel crown really - can't tell a difference in accuracy).

There is other stuff I can't recall out of the blue. Working on the trigger group next.

Everything you could ever want to know is at RimFireCentral. Those forums are great, and the 10/22 section is large and full of knowledge.

Parts you can get from MidwayUSA or HawkTech Arms. (HTA is fast and has great service).

You can get a good billet or other custom receiver online for about the price of the el-cheapo 10/22. Beware new Ruger 10/22's and ensure yours does not come with plastic parts if you buy a Ruger 10/22. There are complete trigger groups that are very well tuned and come with extended mag releases and auto-bolt releases as well as adjustable sears and light, crisp trigger pulls.

There are a zillion barrel manufacturers - avoid the lightweight carbon fiber - its great on go-fast motorcycles, but the heat retention messes up accuracy if you are shooting a lot. There lightweight aluminum barrels and short barrels that are pre-threaded for a silencer as well.

Just, before you purchase anything - read up some reviews on each part at Rimfire Central forums. There is nothing you'll do with a 22lr that they have not tried a dozen times before.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to build one from scratch. I see no reason spending money on a stock 10/22, when I'll be using very little of it. I believe I'm going to be better off finding a company/shop that will cut me some kind of a deal if I purchase all the oarts from them. Well, I'm hoping that's how it works out.

Now I just have to find that company/store who's willing to do a bit of dealing.

Thanks again to everyne for all the helpful info.

Guest atomemphis

I got my stock from MidwayUSA

My ER Shaw Barrel from GunKings.com

My Tactical Innovations Magazines from...Tactical Innovations (nice stuff)

The rest of my doodads from HawkTech Arms

Or

Rimfire Sports & Customs

Guest Halfpint

I'm digging the Anschutz stock, man . . . reminds me more than a little of a McMillan.

B) . . . Now I have to buy THREE 10/22's . . .