Inflammatory Bowel Disease

dats82

Hey TGO friends, I rarely do this, but I decided I needed to pass this along. My sister will running in the Las Vegas Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon to raise funds and awareness for research and a cure for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. She is doing this in honor of our father, who has lived with Crohn's Disease for over 40 years.

For those of you who know people suffer from IBD, you certainly know it can be a very difficult disease to live with, and even with all the advancements in medicine, there is still very little known about the cause and treatment of this disease. If you have just a few seconds to follow this link and donate to her run, it would mean the world to us. Thank you very much for taking to time to read this, and any help you may have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.active.com/donations/fundraise_public.cfm?fr_id=4440718&s_subsrc=bfgetwordout&s_src=boundlessfundraising

Done. I do not have it, but I have a friend who was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps beacuse of Chron's and had to have major surgery to remove part of his small intestine.

One amazing thing I did not know until recently is that Pearl Jam's guitarist, Mike McCready, has suffered with Chron's his entiring touring career.

Link to an article about it: http://www.foxnews.c...crohns-disease/

Good luck to your sister!

Edited by ReefBlueCoupe

Thanks Reef!

Thanks for sharing that article. I hope your friend is doing well. My dad has had two resections; hopefully there will not be another. Just a little tid bid about surgery for Crohn's, it is a last resort type treatment. To my knowledge, bowel resections are only used to treat Crohn's when the disease causes a bowel obstruction. The surgery does not treat the disease, and in fact, it essentially always causes the spread of the disease to areas of the bowel that were not previously affected. The disease kind of forces your hand, but treating Crohn's with surgery is basically like trying to cut the corners off a square using straight lines.

Hopefully, through raising awareness and continued research, there will eventually more definitive treatment options available. Thanks again, and best of luck to your friend.

• Like 1