Value of a pair of SVT 40 rifles?

Guest 70below

Guest 70below

I've got 2 SVT 40 rifles. One is a 90's import Russian arsenal refinished rifle that is in very good shape, in an AVT stock with no barrel pitting and strong rifling. The other is a Finnish Capture with in good condition with strong rifling and no pitting, its minus the cleaning rod, but is in an actual SVT stock. There is signs of a small crack in the butt stock but has been well repaired and you have to really look for it. Both of these rifles were produced at the same arsenal in the same year (Izhevsk), they have the scope rails, but are not notched snipers. I'm considering selling these as a pair as they are from the same arsenal and year. Does anyone have any opinions as to a value for the pair?

svt_40_x2.JPG

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sling

Do the serial numbers match or most of them? Typically the rearsenaled ones have had their bolts replaced.

Typically SVT40's in good shape go for around 600 - 1200 depending on condition and matching parts. .

You probably wouldnt have a hard time getting around 800 a pop from a collector i'd say.

I dunno if the whole same arsenal would justify selling as a pair. Consecutive serial numbers maybe. Just my opinion.

I'd hang on to em for awhile man. They're getting more and more scarce.

Edited by sling
Guest 70below

No, numbers don't match, not consecutive. My thought was simply its a good example of two firearms made at the same arsenal at about the same time. Not that it will grab a huge premium, but it was a big attraction to me when I bought the fin when I already had the refinished. Both rifles are in better shape than those I've seen go for $800. My thought was $1800 for the pair.

Guest Spuds

The Finn capture should not have any matching numbers due to how they were reworked in the Finnish arsenals. If it does, it's reason to be suspicious.

TN price would likely be $500-650, as we are a state of thrifty collectors, I've concluded. An online auction would net more, probably $600-$750 or so, even then the one with the crack might be a hard sell. Anything will sell if the RIGHT buyer happens along and just the RIGHT time, however.

They've sold for more in the past, but the economy sucks and guns listed at prices they brough a year ago are languishing with no interest.

Guest 70below

Well, I wouldn't limit it to a TN sale, I have a C&R license and can ship. On gun broker, I haven't seen one sell below $750 in some time, so I think I can do better than $1500 for the pair. The one with the hairline crack that was repaired, should sell well because of its condition otherwise and given most SVT collectors I've met didn't think twice about it being repaired given how many original SVT stocks are cracked, and how many fewer are repaired properly and barely visible even with no stock refinish. But, who knows, only the right buyer knows for sure. I guess If I get them on the market the price will tell itself.