saiga mag question

I am looking at Saiga .223 with skeleton stock, but was wondering about using 30 round AK mags. I've been reading about the Saiga conversions, but couldn't figure out whether a conversion was necessary to enable the skeleton stock version to use regular .223 30 round mags.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Loki

Yes conversion is necessary and you have to make sure you are 922 complaint. We just did a conversion on a 762 Saiga today. It makes no difference on the type of stock, to use the 30 round mags you must install a feed ramp and file the mag catch to accept the high cap mag.

Thanks. I've read about the work on the mag well, but I couldn't find any information regarding the necessity of it if you didn't move the trigger. This will certainly affect my purchase decision. However, what about this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103999560

Do you think this one has gone through the conversion, or is the 30 round mag not going to work? The gun I am looking at is exactly like this one in appearance, but it comes with a 10 rd mag.

Edited by midtennchip

You have two choices for mags. Buy the Surefire 30 round mags made for the Saiga and you don't need the bullet guide. They have the bullet guide built into the front of the mag like the factory made 10 rounders. Or put in a bullet guide and use military mags, usually Galil Orlites, because the required modification for them is so quick and easy.

The one in the auction is misleading because the picture shows a 7.62 mag in place. The ad states that 30 round polymer mags are available for $40 each. Probably Surefires.

Also, it's not necessary to file down the mag catch on the 223's.

Guest bkelm18

To answer your original question, in order to use hi cap mags and remain 922r compliant, you have to pick 4 or more parts on the gun and replace them with US made parts for it to remain legal. If you use a US made mag, then that will count as 3 parts and you'll only have to replace one more.

To answer your original question, in order to use hi cap mags and remain 922r compliant, you have to pick 4 or more parts on the gun and replace them with US made parts for it to remain legal. If you use a US made mag, then that will count as 3 parts and you'll only have to replace one more.

Can't you use the (spendy) Saiga hi-cap mags and change nothing since they are imported as well?

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

I'd be willing to bet that this rifle is illegally configured with the high cap mag. You have to satisfy the absurd requirements of the 922® parts count. I doubt this joker has done so.

Can't you use the (spendy) Saiga hi-cap mags and change nothing since they are imported as well?

You can't use a high capacity magazine unless the rifle has no more than ten foreign parts.

Certain Saiga high caps are domestically produced. The AGP's for my Saiga 12, for example. And that's three compliance parts right there--just the mag.

Thanks, folks. $40 mags may make kick this rifle into the same cost area as the others I've looked at. I'm not interested in trying to do the conversion myself, so I doubt this type of rifle will fit the bill.

Well, if you change your mind, let me/us/whomever know. It's not that bad, and these rifles are damn cool.

And you can use cheaper mags for the .223 if you convert. I use Galil Orlites mostly, and they function well. Paid about $15.00 a piece for them new.

Guest bkelm18

The conversion is really ridiculously easy. I did my 7.62 in under 3 hours with a dremel and a cordless drill. I'm about to start my S-12 conversion tonight but will have to space it out since the furniture wont be arriving for a few more days.

Okay. I'm considering doing the conversion. How much would such a conversion cost. I understand the furniture may be the most expensive part of the conversion, but I really would need to keep the total cost under $500 to make it worth while. If I go much over that, I'll wish I'd just purchased another AR. Thanks for the encouragement.

Okay. I'm considering doing the conversion. How much would such a conversion cost. I understand the furniture may be the most expensive part of the conversion, but I really would need to keep the total cost under $500 to make it worth while. If I go much over that, I'll wish I'd just purchased another AR. Thanks for the encouragement.

You can get basic conversion parts for less than a hundred bucks, most likely. Depends on how picky you are.

Tapco stock, G2 FCG, US PG , PG nut and bushing. That's all you need to convert the thing and be legal. Won't look like an Arsenal, but will function just fine and be reliable, at about half the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Classic Arms has some Saiga's in stock now.

.223 unconverted... $329

7.62 unconverted... $349

7.62 Converted... $549

No converted .223's listed.