Bike rack for Jeep Wrangler

Howler

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a bike rack that mounts to the spare tire of Jeep Wrangler. I've seen a couple online but I don't always believe the reviews. Some people give four stars because they own it and others give one stare because, well, they like to cry. I like the racks that have a bracket that mounts behind the spare tire and protrudes through the center cap of the wheel. Would like to have a three bike setup but I really only need a two bike. Anyone? The bikes will be large hybrid style bikes, not little kids bikes.

I do have a hitch. My problem is the racks using the hitch hit the spare tire, and you have to remove the rack to open the tailgate. The ones that attach to the spare tire allow the bikes to swing out of the way when the tailgate is opened.

• Like 1

I went with a 5 bike( yeah, and it's usually just me) Yakima rack for the reciever hitch. Went with that one thinking i might one day have a family to carry around( bikes and all). Seems i prepared right, Just got to get the fiancee onto a bike. The 6 year old has one, just momma has to walk faster to keep up.

Something like this might work and not hit your spare when mounted.  Tray racks tend to hold the bikes more securely than a rack you hang the bike from.  Protects the bike components and your vehicle's finish.  Might also work so you can open your tailgate.  I will say that if worrying about not opening your tailgate when you are biking is an issue, maybe you shouldn't be MTB'ing... :stir: :D

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks/hitch-racks/trailrider-hitch-rack.htm

• Like 1

Something like this might work and not hit your spare when mounted.  Tray racks tend to hold the bikes more securely than a rack you hang the bike from.  Protects the bike components and your vehicle's finish.  Might also work so you can open your tailgate.  I will say that if worrying about not opening your tailgate when you are biking is an issue, maybe you shouldn't be MTB'ing... :stir: :D

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks/hitch-racks/trailrider-hitch-rack.htm

Well, the reason I need to get the tailgate open in a hurry is because that's where I store my life jackets. All Jeep owners need to keep life jackets handy, it's to keep from drowning in  Pu###. :stir:  :rofl:

• Like 1