Independence Day, Fireworks, and Mailboxes

cj0e

Well, as Independence Day approaches the inevitable has occurred. Fireworks Tents. Everywhere.

Though they're never in Davidson County, seems the residents always procure vast quantities and set them off at random hours of the night. From mortars to fountains, those in close proximity to my house have generally given our neighborhood our own little fireworks display leading up to and for a few days after the 4th.

Last night, however, was a little different..

Seems the neighborhood residents (likely kids) didn't find the noise and excitement of firecrackers interesting enough, and decided they should resonate in a chamber. Deciding against picking a metal garbage can (of which there are plenty nearby), tin can, or any other container- they decided to forgo these less important chambers that are often busy holding dog food, loose items, and spiders. As what might be more perfect than my mailbox. Large, metal, and easily accessible. As stated, perfect.

So, their firecrackers readied, the individuals had their fun and vacated, leaving their mess, and luckily very little damage this time. Now my mailbox needs some minor door repair and a replacement flag. Hopefully some loose hardware I've got in the workshop will suffice for the door, flags are cheap, about 5 bucks and my time.

All this to say - remind your kids: Vandalism is wrong. Vandalizing a mailbox is a federal offense. Hopefully I'll catch the kids if they attempt a 2nd go (I'm sure they'll go bigger next time) and inform them of what they need to do to straighten up before it causes them (and me) any more headache.

Edited by cj0e