Transporting family collection from Utah

previous search results: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8224&highlight=Gun+Cases

Here's my situation. Long time family hunting rifles that my mom doesn't want in her house have to go. So while skiing in Utah in Feb, I'm going to get these guns and bring them home to TN. Now I've asked about how many guns and she says there are about 5, 4 long guns (2 shotguns/2 rifles w/scopes??) and one pistol.

My question is what would you guys do for preparing this transport? i.e. what cases are going to be best for this one time transport and which are most affordable? Buy now and ship cases to the house in Utah, or get there and take my chances on finding a case?

Here are a couple different links, anyone have thoughts on these.

Sams still has their link active: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item_nbr=738731&landing=738731

But then there is this one: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=120349&pCatg=10240

Thanks for the help, I'll make sure to post all the pics of my..soon to be...collection!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....that thread is really long and very confusing. If I can summarize what is going to happen then. All guns are divied up to me..cool..The long guns can be aquired, no FFL, and then transported to TN. The handgun will have to be transfered via FFL.

and then if I wanted to ship the long guns to myself:

Here the link from that previous post:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=60

The excerpt from that site, under "Shipping Firearms."

-A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.-

This tells me that if I wanted to ship the long guns back to myself, for hunting purposes, then that would be OK.

If I still don't have this correct..please let me know.

Also, what is the cost break down of buying two gun cases(TSA cert) vs. FFL for 5 guns?

Thanks

Guest Traumaslave

Why are you shipping them?? Why not just take them with you on the plane. I have traveled with 10 firearms at a time and never had a problem. They want a locked case. If you have the $$$, I'd just go pick up a pimp Pelican case that will hold most of them and then a cheap one for what ever is left.

And why do you need an FFL for the handgun? You say "transfered", you don't mean as from her to you?

If I knew where the keys were for my locking rifle case, I would be glad to let you borrow it for flying the long guns back. You might see if someone has a lockable case you could use to fly them back.

And why do you need an FFL for the handgun? You say "transfered", you don't mean as from her to you?

Apparently, as we were discussing in the other thread, you cannot transfer a handgun between two individuals who live in different states without an FFL. That goes for family gifts, purchases between individuals, etc.

Good call on the "transferring from her to you!" They are all mine....yah, that's the ticket......I will definitely curbside check in.

If someone does have a "pimp" pelican case that they are willing to lend for trip to-and-fro....I would be honored.

Thoughts......(Remember the PIF section)