.45acp target recipes....

Well guys you read the title, so what do you use, what powder, what bullet (Lead, jacket, etc. Weight, style, yadayadayada....) and what brands of brass would you recommend (Also, nickel or brass?)....

I will post up a couple for your review I have READ about, but never used (Yeah, never used, as I do not have my pistol yet.)

Thanks for your info in advance, Ben Harris

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Depending on what bullet weight you want to load for, and the length of your barrel, this might influence what you pick out. If its a standard 5" barrel or longer, you might google on herco or blue dot.

It will be a 5" and I may add a 6" extended comp'd barrel later.

The 6" comp won't do you any good. A 45 does not generate enough gas or pressure to effectively work a comp. You can drop bullet weight down to a 155 and get a little performance but it;s not worth it. Are you loading for USPSA or idpa? If so your power factor needs to be 165 ( bullet weight x velocity) If you are just target shooting, Hogdon Clays is the way to go in 45. I used to load 45 Major for USPSA and used a 200 gr. SWC over Clays loaded to 1.250 OAL and it was very soft. YMMV

DaG

Guest Mugster

Well, here's what i did. I got ahold of a pile of cast bullets, made by a buddy of mine. They are 240gr SWC's made on a lyman mold with pretty soft lead. I put them in once fired remington brass with remington primers and worked up starting at 5.5 grains of herco i think. Here's some data on herco...it works pretty good under a big bullet and a longer barrel, as its pretty slow compared to some other powders. Makes a decent lite buckshot round. I use them for self defence loads so i loaded them pretty hot. The recipe they list there is non-trivial and should be approached with caution.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.aspx?title=Pistols%20and%20Revolvers&gtypeid=1&weight=240&shellid=1029&bulletid=102