Dennis Blair Confirms Potential Release of "Gitmo" Detainees into US

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/03/welfare_for_freed_gitmo_detain_1.asp

Here, from the Associated Press, is a partial account of DNI [Director of National Intelligence] Dennis Blair’s first press conference today (emphasis mine):

During his news conference, Blair also said the Obama administration is still wrestling with what to do with the remaining 240 detainees at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, which the president has ordered closed.

Some of the detainees, deemed non-threatening [emphasis added], may be released into the United States as free men, Blair confirmed.

That would happen when they can't be returned to their home countries, because the governments either won't take them or the U.S. fears they will be abused or tortured. That is the case with 17 Uighurs (WEE'-gurz), Chinese Muslim separatists who were cleared for release from the jail long ago. The U.S. can't find a country willing to take them, and it will not turn them over to China.

Blair said the former prisoners would have [to] get some sort of assistance to start their new lives in the United States.

“We can't put them out on the street,†he said.

Somehow, this does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. I'm not certain I trust this administration's definition of "non-threatening." :D
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GhostHunter

WTF??? A couple of questions here.

1. If they were so non-threatening, why were they in Gitmo in the first place?

2. If they are so non-threatening, why won't some other country take them?

It's not up to us to take them in, feed and clothe them and provide for their welfare.

Let Cuba keep them!!

Oh, yeah... Muslim >>> Obama. Anyone smell a rat?

Guest mustangdave

Frankly...I could give a rats ass if their home country doesn't want em back...or gosh they might be mistreated if they do go back...who the frak cares? give em a one way ticket to BFE for all I care...just DO NOT try and come back here...or we will KILL you no questions asked.

Guest JHatmaker

This is insane, literally insane! You can't let them live in America, let alone give them assistance! Are you f'king kidding me!??

In the interest of full disclosure, a poster in another forum where I posted this said that "Uncle" had said (not sure if Bush or Obama administration) that the seventeen Chinese were caught up in arrests and had not been involved in terrorist activities. To which I replied that was the same Uncle whose judgment I was not certain I trusted in this matter. :D

Guest benchpresspower

Oh this is just lovely. I knew from the minute that idiot took office and planned to close Gitmo that something like this would happen. So is this the "CHANGE" and "HOPE" everyone so willingly sold their soul for?

Guest Guitarsnguns

I can't help thinking that they must WANT something bad to happen so a police state can be put in place. Nobody is that stupid. There is a method to the madness.

Guest mustangdave

A police "state" over the entire continental US? Maybe the northeast and the west coast for sure...but i ain't feelin it all across the hinterlands here...there'd be way to much back lash. As for the "detainee's"...pass the word...and photos...you see one INCONUS...you drop him and don't think twice...place a bounty on their heads...tell em we don't like ya...wedon't want ya here...do do not darken our customs offices.

Edited by mustangdave
adding more text...
Guest bkelm18

Is anyone actually surprised about this? I sure hope not. The instant Obama started talking about closing Gitmo I knew some of them were coming to the states.

Guest Galba
Okay, I'll bite...why (not being confrontational, just willing to hear your views :cool:)?

I've just been following the cases, and I think what they've tried to do to some of the prisoners down there is a travesty against human rights. The Chinese Uighurs specifically are there for no good reason, and they ought to be freed.