Advanced Handgun I training from the Range Inc.

Took this class Saturday. VERY educational. John and Ken are both excellent instructors. Ken, I can't remember his last name right now, is ex FBI and is a current Metro police FTO and SWAT instructor. According to him, he's running the same drills in Advanced Handgun I that are used to train SWAT units handgun training.

All I know is:

my left hand is bruised and swollen from 500 rounds of 230 grain FMJ

My Kimber CDP ROCKED! I only had 2 FTFs in the early goings then she cleared her throat and run without issue.

I'm so far out of shape it ain't funny. I woke myself up at 5am with leg cramps this morning, and I look like Grandpa trying to walk across the floor without using any leg muscles at all.

The 1911 trigger reset takes forever to "feel out" I had more trouble on the double taps than anyone else, until I forced myself to slow down and feel the trigger reset point. Once I got in, double taps fron the draw were much more accurate and faster than I thought I was capable of running.

We started with basic draw stroke drills from the numbers firing one round. Then, draw and fire two center mass, then draw and fire two center mass ,one in the head. We shot from 3 ft, 7 ft and 10ft. We shot on the move, on the run, forward, backward and sideways.

Kneeling shots, prone, basic weapon retention if someone grabs your weapon while you are slicing the pie. Then we had the oh so fun shoot/no shoot "crapoloa" scenario that Ken and John came up with. Poor undercover cops never had a chance. I don't think any of us missed....the cops. I missed one litle old man because I didn't look at his hands. I did get 4 good head shots...just two of them were on the good guys.

We also learned that Kens 40 cal Glock mags are neither cover or bullet proof. He dropped one of his mags showing how to speed reload, and didn't pick it up when we went on to one handed close range shooting. Well, in showing us the proper pelvic girdle point shooting, he put one right through one of his mags. It looked like he was using it as a target :D I was also surprised at the number of 1911s that we on range. There was one lady who picked up her railed Kimber Friday night, and by the end of the day was shooting like a pro. 1911s, XDs, one dentist had a nice HK...and the other half were running Glocks, mostly G23s.

The drive out wasn't as bad as I thought until I got to the "end of the paved road" part. I only made one wrong turn.

It was almost unbearably hot Saturday. We had a couple of people run into heat related problems so...hydrate as much as possible.

Looking back, I'd say it was worth getting up early, driving almost two hours and ending up smelling rather vile at the end of the day I'd do it again, and more than likely will when they run Advanced Handgun II

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic