Turkey Advice

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

Ok before I go crazy..I'm sure I'm not the first..

Is there a trick to getting the Turkey away from the hens.

I can get them to answer back and can never seem to work them away from the hens. I think it's mainly the hens because I can usually see them sticking with them like glue.

Where I hunt at there a ton of hens so my chances seem slim..

I was able to setup 40 yards from 2 today, actually didn't know they were that close until I called. They answered back about 4 times, I also tried to make sure I didn't over call.

I could see them looking around but still wouldn't come to me, then I could see the hens behind them, needless to say besides gobbling back I'm haveing a hard time to get them to get into bow range.

I'm open to any suggestions,

I'm using a Hen and Jake decoy, I wonder if I need to just use the Hen,

I'm also going to start trying to brush my blind in some to see if that helps.

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

Running into the same poblem where I hunt. Over the years I have found that if you can't get them to come to you in the mornings, wait till around 10 or so and then try it. That is usually when the hens have gone to lay eggs and the gobblers start searching for them. This year for some reason it seems that most areas have gotten a later start on the breeding season. The next couple of weeks it should get easier to call a big old tom right on in there. But I was curious 40 yards is within range why did you not shoot?

Guest sharpshooter01

You could always get up and run through the middle of them to bust'em up, then sit down and call and hope the gobbler comes looking for his lady friends. Or pattern them for a couple of days, then slip in on their regular route and just wait but don't call, and hope they take that route. Or hang it up and go fishing :screwy: It can get very frustrating at times, but when you finally make all the right moves, all the frustration is worth it. Good luck!

You could always get up and run through the middle of them to bust'em up, then sit down and call and hope the gobbler comes looking for his lady friends. Or pattern them for a couple of days, then slip in on their regular route and just wait but don't call, and hope they take that route. Or hang it up and go fishing :screwy: It can get very frustrating at times, but when you finally make all the right moves, all the frustration is worth it. Good luck!

If you are a good shot you could always set up in a big field with a 30.06 or a 7 mag. :P

Guest clutepc
Running into the same poblem where I hunt. Over the years I have found that if you can't get them to come to you in the mornings, wait till around 10 or so and then try it. That is usually when the hens have gone to lay eggs and the gobblers start searching for them. This year for some reason it seems that most areas have gotten a later start on the breeding season. The next couple of weeks it should get easier to call a big old tom right on in there. But I was curious 40 yards is within range why did you not shoot?

I'm using a bow and didn't have a clear shot with the brush around.

If I don't get something soon I'm going to try a shotgun.

This is my first year hunting anything, I'm guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

My other thought was to buy about 15 decoys and make my own hen group.., maybe that will work..:screwy:

Edited by clutepc
Guest Jcochran88
If you are a good shot you could always set up in a big field with a 30.06 or a 7 mag. :screwy:

You know rifle hunting is legal in some states just NOT Tennessee.

Sleep in. Don't get up early just stay in bed and when you get up, have some coffee and your morning constitutional. Go hunting at about 9:30. When the hens go to set on their nests that big ol tom will be hot to trot. Locate the gobbler and set up quick. You will have better luck.

All you are going to do by calling and calling when he is on his hens is make him more call shy. You can hope to call the hens over and get him to follow if you have to hunt early. Or you may call up a bachelor or jake. I usually try to hunt early and set up so they will be passing me after they fly down. Usually they change their minds every other day and I am in the wrong spot.