New Gun Cabinet/Safe (On the Cheap) w/ PICs

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

Been wanting to get a nice gun safe for all my firearms and ammo, since they're pretty much a sitting duck while I'm not at home. Also, even though I kept them out of reach from my 3 year, I still wanted something to keep them completely out of sight (and locked).

Starting pricing safes and realized I was dreaming as far as getting what I originally wanted (one day I'll get a nice Rhino or something), but what I did was get a gun cabinet from Academy, add some Rubbermaid plastic shelves, and stick-on battery operated lights.

It is bolted to the floor, so it's really secure. Including the shelfs, lights, and cabinet, it only cost me $160

Check it out, I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

Edited by JHatmaker
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker
Looks like your ammo shelf is bowed, if you take it out and screw a piece of 1by (whatever size you want, depends on how far back you want the wood to go), it will straighten the shelf.

It is, and I'm working on something to strengthen it. That shelf isn't the best quality plastic, but I figure you get what you pay for. That's one of the reasons I got the Rubbermaid shelf.

Guest JHatmaker
You have more ammo than Walmart.

If I were to only have 3 boxes I'd have more ammo than WalMart right now :pleased:

I haven't bought any in a while. I shoot probably twice a week, so I stocked up earlier this year. If I'm out and about and see a box, I'll usually get one if they have plenty in stock, but if it's the last box I let it be.

I only have 100 rounds of .380, so that's the one caliber I'm trying to stock pile.

Guest m&pc9
If I were to only have 3 boxes I'd have more ammo than WalMart right now :pleased:

That is a true statement.

BTW thats a nice safe, Good work.

Looks like your ammo shelf is bowed

Hmmmm... dralarms is right. I have a zero cost solution to such a problem. Just remove some of the weight from the shelf... by giving me your ammo :pleased:

Edited by poak
Guest JHatmaker
where do keep all the long guns? that looks great for pistols and ammo what do you have in .357 sig

Under the bed, it came with rifle pads but I decided to just use this as an ammo/pistol cabinet. Eventuallly I'd like to get one of those nice heavy gun safes to put everything in.

As far as the .357 SIG, I have a Glock 32. And I love shooting it so much I think my next gun will be chambered for .357.