870 Magazine Tube and Loading Problem

I just got a brand new 870 Express Synthetic that came with a 2 shot extension - brand new in sealed box. At least half the time i can't get the 6th round to go in due to the rim of the 5th round somehow being stuck just outside the tube. I can push around on it with my finger or a shell, but it will *not* budge :shhh:

Also- If i push the 5th round (when it's not jammed) deeper into the mag tube, it will get stuck about an inch or so in.

I have only had it a few days, and it has yet to be fired. I just cleaned/oiled it tonight thinking that would help, but it didn't seem to help at all. I just submitted a support ticket to Remington. Should here back in "2-3 buisness days", but would appreciate some help before then :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a brand new 870 Express Synthetic that came with a 2 shot extension - brand new in sealed box. At least half the time i can't get the 6th round to go in due to the rim of the 5th round somehow being stuck just outside the tube. I can push around on it with my finger or a shell, but it will *not* budge :D

Also- If i push the 5th round (when it's not jammed) deeper into the mag tube, it will get stuck about an inch or so in.

I have only had it a few days, and it has yet to be fired. I just cleaned/oiled it tonight thinking that would help, but it didn't seem to help at all. I just submitted a support ticket to Remington. Should here back in "2-3 buisness days", but would appreciate some help before then ;)

Make sure the fore end is racked ALL the way forward?

There's a little bit of play in it, cocked or uncocked.

As you have to force shells in harder against the spring tension in the last few rounds, one tends to hold BACK on the fore end for leverage.

Maybe not it, but that will definitely stop things.

edit: I assume you took spring/follower out of mag tube to make sure spring not screwed up or follower out of round or some such? Incidentally, many recommend that you replace the flimsy stock follower with a Wilson combat one, or similar, but that's probably not your immediate problem.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

That's not the problem, but still good to know. Thanks ;)

After messing with it for a couple hrs it is much better, and i can always get the 6th round in now. May just be some rough spots that need to be worn down(?)... my thumb is toast though :rolleyes:

BUT i decided to try 3" shells, and can only get 5 of them in. The rim isn't sticking at the opening of the tube like the 2 3/4" ones were doing though. Instead it is acting like the tube is about 1/4" short. The 6th round comes really close to fitting. I can actually load five 3" and one 2 3/4" into the tube with no issues.

BTW: Classic Arms said they would be glad to look at it. I'll probably take it by there tomorrow or monday if i can't get it worked out.

That's what i figured. But then i saw this on the Remington web site...

Remington Model 870™ Express® Synthetic 7-Round

I guess that's 6 +1 in the chamber. If you click specifications it says the mag capacity is 6.

They need to correct their site if you can't really get six 3 inchers in there :-\

Hey, "7 rounds" is better marketing hype than "6+1, 2 3/4" only". :rolleyes:

I really like mine, btw...gonna shoot it some tomorrow at our little Norris get together:

870-zombie.jpg

- OS

Nice! Mine's still pretty naked :-\ I really need to get a light, but really wanting some trijicon ghost ring sights. Maybe i should spend more time trying to get used to the bead though.

That Norris thing sounds awesome! Have fun :rolleyes: I'm hoping to find somewhere around here to shoot mine on a fairly regular basis... Would like to hunt some water jugs ;)