Cheek Weld and Sight Picture - n00b

Ninja9

First off, i don't have much experience at all with any long guns. It is very possible that i am doing something wrong :hyper:

After reading and watching google results on proper stance etc today, it seems that it is impossible for me to get both a decent sight picture and a proper cheek weld. When i press my cheek into the comb, my cheek bone keeps my eye too high. This causes me to see both the bead, as well as the little rectangular base it is mounted on, sitting on the flat of the receiver. Unless i tilt my head forward, or bring my cheek back to like 3-4" from the butt of the stock.

The gun is Rem 870 w/ unaltered factory synthetic stock.

Either i'm missing something, or my noggin is just jacked up :hyper:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure how to answer your question except try to get into a comfortable position when holding the shorgun. You may have to get used to shooting it that way. Maybe some one else can help out better. You could always buy new sights that clamp onto your rail.

Yeah. It's a pretty odd question to begin with i guess :D I appreciate your thoughts on it. I plan on getting some ghost ring sights if/when i decide for sure that i am going to like the shotgun. I'm pretty sure that will solve the problem.

It's not quite as quick or natural for me, but putting my cheek bone a little more to the side seems to work well enough for now i think. Would still appreciate any other thoughts on it though :poop:

Guest Mugster

Thats not an odd question at all. Higher end shotgun stocks are fitted to the shooter. Unless you are in the lucky 1% of shotgunners that just naturally fit off the shelf shotguns, your stock will probably not fit. None of mine do. I use a gizmo to raise my comb up a bit. A winchester pump's length tends to fit me pretty good.

My advice is, make the best of it. Your shooting stance with a shotgun should be lead foot heavy. You lean into the gun and point it with both eyes open. Once you have a rough shooting stance down, just lower your cheek to the stock.

As a footnote, it always cracks me up when I see a higher end shotgun being used on the skeet range with an ill fitting stock. Most of the value of a high end shotgun is in the customized stock that is fit to the user.

South Carolina Hunter Safety Course - Shotgun Shooting Stance

A Proper Gun-Fitting: The Key to Consistent Shotgun Shooting

Gizmo's:

eBay Shop - Shotgun Store: Gun Fit Items: Shotgun Comb Raiser Size 1 - 5mm comb lift

Don't you know that a defensive shotgun doesn't have to be aimed. Point and shoot my friend!:)

Seriously though, on my Mossy 500 I had to try a few different stocks to get the right fit and feel for me.

Great info, guys. Thanks :snore:

Had done some searching, but hadn't seen those links, Mugster.

I'm kinda getting used to it. Will hopefully be able to go shoot it again next weekend :hat:... I feel sure it will get me by for a while. And the added height of some ghost ring sights should solve the issue.... Really not digging the whole bead sight thing. It takes a sec to distinguish the flat strip on the 870 express receiver :popcorn: Good enough for "close encounters" though i guess.