Advice on 45 carry

Guest Silverwolf1964

You guys that carry the CBOB 1911's, do yall carry the 4 inch barrel?

4 1/4" "Commander" on my DW CBOB.

A full size 5" is considerd a "Government" and a shorty is a "Compact" or "Officer" when talking 1911s. The Commander is mid size.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BIG +1 thats what i carry everyday. Conceals well with a good IWB holster (I use a Comptac Holster) and the bobtail not only disguises the profile but also makes it fit much better in your hand. The fact you can weak hand limp wrist the gun and it wont jam doesnt hurt either. If you do plan on carrying it everyday I would highly recommend buying a used one so you wont feel as bad when you "rough it up".

It is a problem having such a beautiful gun. The CBOB looks like a Sunday Go To Meeting piece and handles like a dream. I got a tiny mark on mine and cried for six days. Too pretty to beat it around everyday but handles so well and is so dependable you don't want to leave it home. The CBOB Syndrome. I bought it to use but love it too much to abuse. I have to keep telling myself it's a gun, it's made to carry and shoot. Would you buy a beautiful new car and not drive it?

It is a problem having such a beautiful gun. The CBOB looks like a Sunday Go To Meeting piece and handles like a dream. I got a tiny mark on mine and cried for six days. Too pretty to beat it around everyday but handles so well and is so dependable you don't want to leave it home. The CBOB Syndrome. I bought it to use but love it too much to abuse. I have to keep telling myself it's a gun, it's made to carry and shoot. Would you buy a beautiful new car and not drive it?

I have the same problem. It is a Great carry gun and I refuse to let it be a safe queen. But I must confess that I don't switch out to a MilPro 45 every once and a while.

I saw one advertised as a Dan Wesson Commander with a 4" barrel. Does the commander come in a 4" barrel or did they make a mistake?

4 1/4" "Commander" on my DW CBOB.

A full size 5" is considerd a "Government" and a shorty is a "Compact" or "Officer" when talking 1911s. The Commander is mid size.

I carry a Para P-12, seems like forever.

I have others I carry also, but if I got rid of the p12, I would get a warthog by para

most of the 1911 jaMMING AND fre PROBLEMS ARE FROM LIMP WRISTING CAUSING REDUCED PRESSURE ON THE SLIDE AND IT DOESNT GO THRU ITS WHOLE LENGTH OF TRAVEL, THROWING THE TIMING OFF AND CAPTURING THE SPENT BRASS BETWEEN SLIDE AND BARREL

Guest TurboniumOxide

I carry a Glock 36 in summer and a Kimber 1911 full size Stainless II sometimes in the winter. Both in crossbreed supertuck IWB.

Guest BigShot

Just picked up a stainless Para LDA Carry .45 w/ 3" barrel and 6+1 mag... With the extended mag, it feels ever bit as good in my hand as my full size 1911s but is MUCH smaller and with double action trigger. Feels great in my pocket but is a little more noticeable than I want. Will be getting a IWB holster of some type for all day wear.

BigShot ;)

Guest Marine03

I love my H&K USP 45C Its the same size as my P99 in 40 S&W. I carry it in a Blackhawk inside the pants leather holster. Nobody knows I have it.

Guest tnpanscraper

I carry a Taurus 24/7 .45 with a 3.33 inch barrel every day. It has 10+1 or 12+1 option.

Very light with the 10 rnd mag.

Works for me...

Guest Marine03
If you're driving one of those things like in your avatar, I think I can pick you out in a crowd.

Oh don't I wish! If I was driving that again I wouldn't need a gun. I'd just run over you and whatever small buildings you take refuge in.:D

Besides it comes with your choice of a 240G, M2 .50cal, or a MK 19 Automatic Grenade Launcher.

Guest johnmattwill

My first carry gun was a Sig P220R Carry and I loved it.... I put a set of Factory Sig recheckered by Hogue grips on it, It was Awesome... The one downside to it, was that it was a tad bit heavy for carry in the summer with shorts and the profile to the handgun was a little wide.. I had a VMII that I carried it in the winter and it was very comfortable. But changing to shorts in the summer was a slight problem.... I now carry my Kimber Commander size for the summer.... Much lighter and much narrower profile...

I love BOTH guns.... You cant go wrong with either... and can never go wrong with .45 ACP, to me there is no other caliber...... (sorry everyone else...:))

Guest Muttling
Oh don't I wish! If I was driving that again I wouldn't need a gun. I'd just run over you and whatever small buildings you take refuge in.:)

Besides it comes with your choice of a 240G, M2 .50cal, or a MK 19 Automatic Grenade Launcher.

Just run him over then use the arm to pry the gun from his cold, dead fingers in air conditioned comfort.

Gotta love a good MRAP 3!!!!!

Guest TXRoadhouse

I second the Taurus 24/7 compact. DA/SA, light and very accurate for a 3 inch 45. all but disapers with a CBST, but then doesn't everything.

Dang that is a NICE LOOKING GUN...

I have the same gun; when I decided to buy a handgun my son recommended teh Dan Wesson 1911. So with that advice I bought the Commander Classic 45; one nice looking and shooting gun. To protect the finish I decided on a Tucker side holster and should be here next week.

Mike

Guest Moody

As for carrying a 1911, they aren't exactly non-dedicated user friendly. The XD45 4" has the pointability of the Commander size 1911 with a much simpler manual of arms and 14 rounds vs 9 rounds on board. Not to mention less maintence.

I will concur with this - as I have both the XD45 4", and two 1911's that I may carry at choice. My Para 5" single is a very portable gun, but I keep going back to my trusty XD because of the easy cleaning, reliability, and capacity. I can also leave it in the car and not have to worry about much, as I'd worry more about my 1911, should someone break in and steal everything in the car.

The XD is light (enough, lol), and isn't sensitive to foreign contaminant, it seems, as either of my 1911s would be (that's only an opinion). Even though it's definitely thicker, it's negligible and something that I can put up with.

Guest donfromtexas

I personally carry a Glock30SF in a Bianchi 100 IWB holster and have no problems in any type of clothing.

There is a really sweet looking sub-com 1911 if that is the way you want to go, you can check it out here: A Classic Returns - The Detonics Combat Master

MSRP is $1200, but you can get it for $699

http://www.freegunstuff.com/item/173734_Detonics_USA_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Detonics_Combat_Master__B.aspx

Edited by donfromtexas
Guest grimel
The XD is light (enough, lol), and isn't sensitive to foreign contaminant, it seems, as either of my 1911s would be (that's only an opinion). Even though it's definitely thicker, it's negligible and something that I can put up with.

The only real complaint I have about a 1911 is most of mine have been way to pretty to toss on the ground for training. The XD, OTOH, can be tossed around without feeling bad.

I have the same gun; when I decided to buy a handgun my son recommended teh Dan Wesson 1911. So with that advice I bought the Commander Classic 45; one nice looking and shooting gun. To protect the finish I decided on a Tucker side holster and should be here next week.

Mike

Which Tucker did you order and why do you expect it to protect the finish? I kinda figured that any holster would eventually cause wear on the finish. Could this be the answer to my dilemma?