Looking for a bear hunt but dont know where to begin.

Guest redbarron06

Guest redbarron06

I would like to do a bear hunt in east TN this year but have no idea where to even start. I have researched the seasons and it seems they pretty much are hand and hand with the archery season.

I am looking for a little guidenance as far as how to set up on one, what is a good size, habbits, field dressing, processing, and pretty much any other advice that is offered. I would also like to do it on the cheap, maybe staying at a campground and hunting public or WMA land as I do not know anybody that has land in east TN.

It may be a little late to try to plan one this year but I figured I would run it up the pole.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest beefcakeb0

im also interested, and would consider going with someone for safety, and stalking might be a pain, iv heard and read that you need to stalk for miles. but if you need someone im down

Guest redbarron06
im also interested, and would consider going with someone for safety, and stalking might be a pain, iv heard and read that you need to stalk for miles. but if you need someone im down

Well if sombody here happens to be a resident expert then maybe we can get a group "rug steak" hunt going.

Most of the people up here in East TN, Carter county, hunt bear with dogs. You can get into the Holston and Iron Mt area and may be have one run by you. But the people running the dogs really get PO'd when someone cuts off and shoots the bear from in front of their dogs. One thing to remember if you come up to bear hunt. You better have all your ducks in a row as far as license and knowing the laws about bear hunting. The TWRA game wardins are a pain the the butt. They will check you sideways sometimes two times or more a day. It can get to the point of harassment. There are quite a few bear in this area. Saturday night my neighbors dog, part pit bull and hound, barked all night long. When my neighbors were walking to church Sunday morning they found out why the dog was barking so much. He had a bear treed in a big maple in their front yard. It was a yearling in the 100 to 150 pound range. They put the dog up in a shead and when they got home from church the bear was gone.

Guest redbarron06

I've got a sportsmans so I should be covered as far as licenses, WMA permits and that kind of stuff. I would really not like to be around dog hunts. I have always figured that anything that is run like that prior to harvest will be very gamey.

Most of the people up here in East TN, Carter county, hunt bear with dogs. You can get into the Holston and Iron Mt area and may be have one run by you. But the people running the dogs really get PO'd when someone cuts off and shoots the bear from in front of their dogs. One thing to remember if you come up to bear hunt. You better have all your ducks in a row as far as license and knowing the laws about bear hunting. The TWRA game wardins are a pain the the butt. They will check you sideways sometimes two times or more a day. It can get to the point of harassment. There are quite a few bear in this area. Saturday night my neighbors dog, part pit bull and hound, barked all night long. When my neighbors were walking to church Sunday morning they found out why the dog was barking so much. He had a bear treed in a big maple in their front yard. It was a yearling in the 100 to 150 pound range. They put the dog up in a shead and when they got home from church the bear was gone.

Yep, get your facts before you get out of the truck. Them TWRA folks don't cut ya any slack, during the bear hunts.