Park carry stance affects governors race

Guest 2HOW

Park-Carry Stance Affects Tennessee Gubernatorial Race: Bill Haslam's rivals for Tennessee's Republican gubernatorial nomination are finding ammunition in the Knoxville mayor's position on guns. Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey of Blountville and U.S. Rep. Zach Wamp of Chattanooga, both vocal supporters of gun rights, are targeting Haslam's support for a Knoxville City Council vote earlier this week that keeps in place a ban on handguns in city parks, playgrounds and sports fields. "Once again Mayor Haslam comes down on the wrong side of our Second Amendment rights guaranteed in the Constitution," Wamp said in a statement. The state Legislature this year passed a law that allows handgun carry permit holders to bring their weapons into city and county parks. But the law gives local governments the power to opt out. About 70 cities and counties have decided against allowing people with permits to go armed in local parks…

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/sep/24/092409webgunreax/

---

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haslam was a member of Bloomban's Council of Mayors against handguns too before he realized it may cost him future politicial office.

What a totally transparent lying politician! (While most all politicians are liars, few are so blatantly transparent about it.) No friend of gun owners, that is for certain.

I'm not ready to say that Ramsey or Wamp are any better. We thought that Bredesen was in our corner too with his NRA rating.

I would say that Wamp isn't, but as Ramsey was one of the main forces in Nashville pushing for all the gun bills which got passed this year, so I'd say he can back up what he says.

Matthew

I would say that Wamp isn't, but as Ramsey was one of the main forces in Nashville pushing for all the gun bills which got passed this year, so I'd say he can back up what he says.

Matthew

I tend to agree with you but I thought that we would be able to count on Bredesen too.

There is no way to know if either Ramsey or Wamp would have done the same thing that Haslam did had they been in his position.

Guest archerdr1

I have talked with some of Wamp's campaign staff (he bought his RV from our location) and they said that he felt that the "Opt out clause" was a bad Idea, they should have just said, let them carry!

I tend to agree with you but I thought that we would be able to count on Bredesen too.

There is no way to know if either Ramsey or Wamp would have done the same thing that Haslam did had they been in his position.

Well, didn't Ramsey help push through the restaurant bill after Bredesen vetoed it? That says something powerful to me.

Matthew