Y'alls into eating bugs?!?!?

Never heard of it. Never known anybody who's tried it. Don't wanna try it. But I am curious. Just how do ya cook a cicada? 

OTOH there are people in other countries who regularly eat bugs. And according to the save the planet bunch, insects may well be the food of the future and end starvation. 🙄

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gun sane said:

You ever tried them with wild honey?  It's so good it'll make you stand in a river and dunk people.  

see what ya did there 😁

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I think I preferred calling them Locusts like back in my younger days. I don't think I even heard the name Cicada until I was much older.

That being said... anything is good with Frank's Red Hot! 🙂

image.jpeg

Edited by NoBanStan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, NoBanStan said:

I think I preferred calling them Locusts like back in my younger days. I don't think I even heard the name Cicada until I was much older.

That being said... anything is good with Frank's Red Hot! 🙂

image.jpeg

I put that #### on everything-lol

• Thanks 2

Got a buddy up in PA that tried them a year or two ago when they had a brood event up there. Said they were OK. He grilled them and they were just crunchy.

His son in law tried them and got real sick. Broke out in hives. Apparently they have the same ingredient that causes people with shellfish allergies to get sick, which his son in law has. So, be careful

• Admin Team

I've had bread/griddle cakes made with locust meal.  They're fine.

I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it - but someone could serve it to you and you wouldn't think anything was amiss.

• Admin Team

From Montclair State University is you really want to try them whole - fried in batter is probably the way to do it:

Tempura Cicadas:

Ingredients

15 teneral cicada
1 egg
1.5 cup flour or your favorite gluten-free flour substitute (We use Cassava)
2 tsp salt
Cold Seltzer
Oil for frying (I like using coconut oil because it pairs really well with cicada and cassava flavors)

Instructions

Preheat oil for frying in a dutch oven or deep pan.
Combine the flour, salt and egg.
Slowly pour in the seltzer and mix (but not too much) until it’s the consistency of lumpy pancake batter. Keep it in the fridge on ice or on the top shelf until you use it.
Once the oil is hot enough (I always put a drop of batter in to test it), dip the cicada into the batter and fry until golden brown.

Had them flash fried and drizzled with hot honey. Crunchy, most of the flavor was from the hot honey though. Not much added flavor from the cicada. 
Had them battered and fried as well. Same result as above. Most of the flavor was in the batter, oil, and the provided dipping sauce not the cicada.

4/10, would eat it again if I had to. 

There is not much I have not or will not try food wise. I have consumed plenty of wild game meat, including, alligator and snake. I have had horse meat, dog, and likely cat. I have had more cured, pickled, dried, and canned seafood than I would care to recall including Hákarl 🤮. On the bug side I have had crickets, ants, grasshoppers, meal worm, and a couple of agave worms that were at the bottom of a bottle of some clear liquid 🤣.

• Admin Team
27 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

How does one field dress a cicada?

Remove the wings, head, and lower joint on the legs.

If you’re so inclined.  

Social media’s obsession with cicadas has really gotten out of hand.  Yeah, this is a big, epic, “brood”, but some generation comes out every…single…year.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Social media’s obsession with cicadas has really gotten out of hand.  Yeah, this is a big, epic, “brood”, but some generation comes out every…single…year.

For a while they were stories about them on the news almost every single day. It is ridiculous.