AR15 scope height

Guest Mugster

Guest Mugster

Ok, I've got a 16" A4 with a fixed front sight, and I also have a couple of riser blocks. When I mount my red dot sight on a riser block with the rings I have, and zero at 50 yards, I'm actually close to dead on at 300 yards. So, it is mounted a little high for what I want to do. I believe these are medium height rings, but i'm not sure, they came with the reddot. Ring height appears to change maker to maker.

I've got to go buy a new scope. Without using trial and error, what height rings would I need to come closer to a "military style" zero, where I can zero at 50 and hit dead on elevation wise at 250 yards...and still clear the front sight. If someone can post a link to rings that work, either with or without a

riser block, I'd be appreciative.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will all depend on what type of shooting are you wanting to do......

DaG

Oops,re-read the post. Medium rings will put you roughly 2.5 in. abve the center of the bore (military style). I have a Weaver 1x3 with medium Armalite rings zeroed at 100 with Wolf ammo and is dead on at 200 on a MGM Flash target. BigJ45 can setup with the post on the reticle at 400 and hit the target all day. Hope this helps......

DaG

Guest Mugster

Well, I wound up with a Nikon Prostaff 2x7 with medium rings (weaver quad lock) mounted on a riser block, which is mounted on a 16" A4 upper. On 2x I cannot see the front sight, but I haven't zeroed it yet.

Intended purpose is a deer hunting rig, although it is a fairly sweet setup just for shooting...I can't wait to take it out tomorrow and give it a try.

I'm sorely tempted to put this upper on my RRA lower to take advantage of the 2 stage match trigger.

After looking at it with a micrometer, I believe the scope is a half a shade low compared to the front sight post. I doubt it makes much difference, but i'll double check everything at the range. I might push my zero out to 75, but probably not 100. I need to get on my calculator and see what these 60gr noslers are going to do downrange.