re-kindled interest - 1851 Navy

My first hand gun was an Armi San Marco reproduction of the 1851 Navy in .44 caliber. I bought this mail order from Gander Mtn back in 1982 or 1983.

I am not sure exactley how many balls I have run through it over the years. Not so many I am sure, maybe 400, probably closer to 300. The thing about

BP revolvers is that , well mine anyway, seemed to crud up at about 25 to 30 shots. Heck thinking about it, I bet I shot it 25 seperate times between purchase and the disabled list. So there is probably about 600 rounds out of the barrel.

I really love that gun. I think BP is pure shooting. I loved having to be methodical to load and shoot it. Purism in shooting at its finest.

The last time I shot it was about two years ago. I had run about 25 rounds through it and disassembled it, cleaned and oiled it, and re-assembled. It will not action anymore. No way to pull the hammer back. Locked like a virgins legs on the eve of her wedding. There is no visible binding of the cylinder. I do not nearly believe the gun is shot out. There has to be a problem with the timing. The part that moves the cylinder forward while cocking the hammer does not fit correctly IMHO. It is a bastard part from a part replacement years ago. But I don't think it fits any worse than it did when first put it in the pistol.

Armi San Marco is long out of business, parts are near impossible to find.

The thing is, I guess I paid $65 or so for it when bought NIB. But the sentimental value is enormous. I have spent at least $50 bucks on parts to try to fix it in the last two years, the parts all suck and do not fit any better.

I guess what I want to know is do any of you have a good advice.

Is it worth trying to fix and possible expense of a gunsmith, or am I just better off by going and replacing it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

Yup. Nothin' like manufacturing your own ammo in the field.

IMHO, save your pistol, your grief and aggrivation. Take it to a competent gunsmith that has a reputation for working on cap and ball pistols.

Older BP stuff is fun. I don't care for modern BP shooting though.

I only have a couple of BP guns. One is a single shot something-or-other that was given to me by the family of a guy who killed himself. No, it wasn't with this gun. Guess I could use it to play pirate. I've never fired it.

The other is a Civil War reproduction 3-band Enfield. I mold my own 640 gr Minié ball for it.

Guest Phantom6
SH thanks for the offer,

Where is Spring Hill?

Read your sig line. :taunt:

Sorry dude. I couldn't help it.

It's about 40 miles south of Nashville justr off I-65.

If anyone can help you regarding repair of your cap and ball pistol it would be these folks- http://www.smssgazette.com/. I'd go to their contact page and yell "assistance please". Either that or log on to their forum.

There, now I feel much better since I offered you some usefull information rather than just some smart a$$ answer.

Guest Phantom6

There's also a guy down near Dayton. Let me try and think of his name and I'll get back to you. He's done some work for another friend and Jody can't say enough good stuff about him.