Colt Mustang

Guest waldo

Lookn' for some advise. My wife and I were looking on some gun auctions sites for a carry gun for her. We hit upon a nickel plated colt mustang and she said "that is it". Also wants pearl grips. I believe in paying a little more for quality so I don't mind the price. Just looking for someone who has experience with a mustang. She can shoot a 9mm comfortably so we are not stuck on a 380. Maybe someone with some 9mm nickel plated options? I am a 25 year GM technician so obviously my paycheck is in the crapper now that I basically work for obama motors:poop: and she is the main bread winner, I want her to get what she wants and deserves.

Edited by waldo
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluemax

The Colt Mustang is a great little gun and there is nothing negative that I can honestly say about any Colt product. Ae Titan14 mentioned, the Sig 238 is almost an exact copy of the Mustang. If I were making the purchase and the Mustang was reasonably priced, I would go with it; just because of the way Colt products retain their value

Guest Bluemax
Remember what George S. Patton thought about pearl handles...

Good Point but ole Blood and Guts was refering to a sidearm that he would carry not his wife:tough::death:

I second, or third, the Sig P238 note. Good feeling gun, and have heard good range reports for accuracy. The only draw back is that there is lack of grip options, def not seen any pearl for the 238. but you can get some pretty alum ones from sigpower.com.

As far as the mustang Id say if you can find one it might be cheaper than sig which runs between 550-700 depending on sights and coatings. But I have heard the sig doesn't have the some of the issues( ftf/fte) the mustang had, but thats all hear-say.

Thanks for the input. I got on youtube and checked out the P238. Looks pretty damn good. Maybe the best thing to do is to check into prices to nickel plate a P238. Might work out to be about the same money but a lot better gun. Thanks.

Most grip manufacturers can make a "simulated pearl" grip for most any pistol in various color finishes, provided the back of the grip is flat, if you are really serious about obtaining them.

Guest HexHead
Thanks for the input. I got on youtube and checked out the P238. Looks pretty damn good. Maybe the best thing to do is to check into prices to nickel plate a P238. Might work out to be about the same money but a lot better gun. Thanks.

Hardly a "lot better gun", if better at all. Keep in mind the youngest Mustang you're going to find these days is 12-13 years old. SIG already had a recall on the 238 for firing when the safety was clicked off. Just sayin'.

If you do find a Mustang, be prepared to pay in the $650-750 range for it (considering they sold for about $275 new). If you're in the Nashville area, I'd also recommend taking it to Jeffe Walle at Guns & Leather in Greenbriar and have him do a reliability job on it. Mine runs 100% now since he did one on mine. They're great little pistols, and AFAIC the only little pocket pistol to have.

DSC_0007.jpg

Guest mustangdave

the latest issue of American Rifleman has an excellent article of 380 CC guns...my wife has a choice of 3...Ruger SP-101, Bersa 380CC and her Christmas gun...a Kel-Tec P3-AT

Guest colrmccoll

I have a Mustang and have carried it. But I do not like to carry a pistol that has a safety that needs to be disengaged before shooting. I know you will get a lot of differing opinions on this.

I used to carry the 1911 models but have switched to the Walter because there is no safety per se. It is a DA/SA.

I noticed in the same AR article that Walther makes a 380 with this attribute.

I have a Mustang and have carried it. But I do not like to carry a pistol that has a safety that needs to be disengaged before shooting. I know you will get a lot of differing opinions on this.

I used to carry the 1911 models but have switched to the Walter because there is no safety per se. It is a DA/SA.

I noticed in the same AR article that Walther makes a 380 with this attribute.

....or a Kahr P380 (DAO).

Hardly a "lot better gun", if better at all. Keep in mind the youngest Mustang you're going to find these days is 12-13 years old. SIG already had a recall on the 238 for firing when the safety was clicked off. Just sayin'.

If you do find a Mustang, be prepared to pay in the $650-750 range for it (considering they sold for about $275 new). If you're in the Nashville area, I'd also recommend taking it to Jeffe Walle at Guns & Leather in Greenbriar and have him do a reliability job on it. Mine runs 100% now since he did one on mine. They're great little pistols, and AFAIC the only little pocket pistol to have.

DSC_0007.jpg

Agreed that the P238 is not "A LOT BETTER" The only thing I like better on the P238 than my Pocket Light Limited Mustang are the sites.SIG sites Rock

Guest jpatmac

Hi. First post here. :confused:

I have a Mustang Pocketlite. I've shot it and carried it. There are better choices out there.

CONS:

* Mine is very light, of course. The metal in the frame is too soft, in my opinion, and I've seen some peening after a very small amount of shooting.

* Horrible sights. You wouldn't expect great sights from a pocket gun, of course, but there are some pocket guns that are just as light and easy to carry which have far better sights.

* Price. This is really a collector's-only gun for the price they're asking for these. (That's the only reason I'm keeping mine.)

PROS:

* Nice feel in the hand.

* Lightweight / small.

* Trigger that rivals a 1911. Seriously, it's THAT nice.

I can't speak from experience about the new little Sig. I own two other sigs (239 & 228). If the new one is on par with those models, it'll be a better gun than the Colt Mustang... at least for the price.

Also, look into a Kahr PM9 - small; lightweight; good trigger; night sights; 9mm; etc. Lots going for it.

Best of luck!