Where to get basic gunsmith training?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

I looked this up at one time, there really are no local courses (I think colorado, nevada, and arizona were the only ones I found if I recall correctly). There are correspondence schools however, and local guys who might be willing to teach if you can find one of them.

Guest witchdr

Ashworth University has a good gunsmithing course that is a combo of corespondence and online with good support from instructors .I took it and found it very helpfull.

Guest oldsmobile98

Here's a list of several schools:

Gunsmiths.com - Dedicated to Better Gunsmithing

Does he want to do it full time? And does he want to specialize in a certain area (e.g. 1911s, precision bolt-actions, stock-making, etc.)? If so, I'd look up a gunsmith he wants to emulate and see how he got where he is today.

For instance, here's the bios of a few revolversmiths I admire:

Meet Alpha Precision

+ C A T A L O G +

GrantCunningham.com - Home (scroll to bottom)

Hope this helps.

Guest GunTroll

I went to the Colorado School of Trades in Denver CO. I got a lot out of it. But with all programs, you get out what you put in. I have an old Army friend who is attending a school in NC. Montgomery Co community I believe. He likes it and says its very educational. Pro's with CST back in Denver is its 14 months straight with no breaks. It boils down to a two year program with a degree (associates). And no non-firearm related classes to needed to earn a degree. Montgomery is a traditional setup and it will take more time with all the extra non-firearm classes that it takes to earn the degree. The school in Trinidad CO is nice too I here. Its a community college and will take more time to complete and its located in a beautiful setting in southern CO. Problem with Trinidad is lack of jobs for students and then of course it is the tranny capital of the world. Not sure if that's a deal breaker though.

Personally I would steer clear of on-line correspondence type stuff due to the lack of hands on training and direct instruction from trained staff. Of course this is just my opinion and I have never taken any of those so I can't outright knock them.

PM me and ask anymore questions if you like.