Turkey Season, How did you do?

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

Just curious how everyone did today who got out.

I had two birds hang up for 3 hours and just wouldn't come in where I could get a bow shot, if I had a shotgun, I'd be eating turkey right now..:death:

Something about my setup they didn't like I guess.

going back at it tomorrow.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Called in 9 different hens all within 20 yards. Had 3 hens within 5 yards. I thought one was going to peck my boot.

Heard gobblers early during the hurricane that was passing through at daylight. So I sat in the rain, and sat and sat and sat. No gobblers. Just more and more hens.

Going back in the morning to get set up closer to where they were roosted and try to cut them off when they fly down.

Guest BEARMAN

Didn't go out till the afternoon, when the sun came out and the wind died down a bit.

Saw two longbeards heading to my spring, tried to do an end around on them, to head them off; didn't work though, set up deak's, and called for two hours, to no avail.

Never saw them again, and they never did gobble.

They didn't seem all that "hot" to me, and no hens with them either.

So, I'll try em again tomorrow, and hope to connect then.

I'm feeling...lucky. :death:

Didn't get a turkey, but after a 2 hour stalk through every known swamp, ridge, briar patch and skeeter nest, I arrowed this young boar at 35 yards. He went about 20 yards before piling up. He dressed right around 150. Arrowed him just before dark, didn't get back to the truck until about 10:00pm.boar003.jpg

Edited by wd-40
Can't spell worth a crap!
I have him chill'n now. Will cut him up in a day or two. Can't wait to have some. Getting the pit hot!

Way to go Brother! Glad to see you got one.

Day 2 of Turkey season was HOT for me, but no bird on the ground. I could hear no less than 8 gobblers before sunrise. The pitched the opposite way as day 1 do I was in the wrong spot...again. I managed to call them back to me, but only 6 hens and 2 jakes. Passed on the Jakes at 30 yards. Gobblers cooled off a little once they got on the ground, but they did keep gobbling. While I was working a gobbler out in front of me, 3 came in behind me. I barely moved my head and off they went. Oh well, there is always tomorrow, well actually Thursday. :screwy:

Guest davidz71

Saturday was a wash, I mean it rained like crazy just after daybreak but I was on to a gobbler this morning who would not leave the hens after coming off roost. I did have a hen walk 10 yards past me and I was just sitting up next to a tree without camo net up. Maybe next weekend.

You can hunt them on any Scheduled hunt, with the weapon legal for that hunt. Hunting with bow is getting addicting!

I told you it has been a long time. I need to get me a turkey but hog hunting sounds like a plan as well.

Guest clutepc

I heard 2 gobble a long way off at first light but after that nothing all day.

They were probably a little rattled after 2 4 wheelers were running all over the Mt. View Rd WMA area late yesterday and they eventually ran right up behind my blind.

These two were just making their own trails running over anything and everything.

I told them they weren't supposed to be in the area and they left but I'm sure they'll be back.

The other area I like to hunt some off Hamilton Church Rd is turning into a mud pit from someone riding in it so much.

It's frustrating because it makes it hard to hunt, people I can deal with that's to be expected on public land but the 4 wheelers are getting old.

I have always wanted to get me a turkey, but have found that most of them are a little smarter than I. Congrats to all of you who have not given up on turkey hunting and to those who got birds!

The whole first weekend was a big learning experience for me. There were several gobbling in the area I was in, but I never could get them called in close enough. Seemed like doing a few purrs on the call would get them headed my direction, but if I made any other noise with it they would change their mind and go the other way. Yesterday it just seemed like I was helping everyone else in the county. It would be kinda quiet for a while, I would pick my call up, hear a gobble off in the distance, and then here a shot. This happened several times, so I decided I must just be calling for everyone else in the area. :P At least I do know they're in the area, and that they do respond to my locator call as well as some of my calling on the pot call. I've just gotta get the hang of it. Now I'm more interested on just being able to call one in than I am in getting to get a shot off at one.

I also never realized how many owls there were in the area that would be out making so much noise in the middle of the day. If I could only get the gobblers in as close as I can the owls I will be in good shape.

Guest Conrad

I did not get to hunt this weekend but went out today to see what i could hear or maybe call in. I got to my spot and did some calling but did not hear an answer. I sat there maybe 10 minutes and heard something walking through the leaves behind me. i turned around and there was a coyote cruising through the wood about 15 yards behind me. A soon as it crossed the trail i just walked in on it took off at a run i spun around the tree and sent an ounce and three quarters of #5 hevishot its direction but dont think i led it enough because he just kept haulin ass through the woods. No hair no blood but that coyote will think twice about coming to a turkey call. did see 2 big goblers on a wma today but there were to far for a shot. Walked right up on em but was on wrong side of trees. hopefully they will be there later this week.