Springfield 5100 Identification

So I was at my parents house for the holiday weekend and was happy to find a long forgotten .410 SxS in the closet.

My mom says it belonged to my grandfather, and I am trying to figure out what year it was made, and just other interesting info about this very cool old gun.

I have read that the Springfield 5100 was a precursor to the Stevens 311 and was produced between 1931-1940. Shotgunworld.com • View topic - Age/Value of Stevens 311A SxS 410 Shotgun

You can just barely make out the 5100. I have no idea what the other markings mean

img20101128235342.th.jpg

img20101128233548.th.jpg

img20101128233640.th.jpg

img20101128233704.th.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have most of the available information in the link you provided. I have a similar one marked "Riverside Arms". They were inexpensive double shotguns. Mine is a 12 ga. Yours, being a 410 will command a premium in price over a 12. If everytthing looks good and works correctly, you probably have a $300-$400 gun. The markings you ask about are assorted proof marks and inspector marks. I'm not sure there are any surviving records to indicate which mark means what. Belonging to your grandfather should make it a prize.

Thanks for the info Greg.

You are right, this is a family treasure, I have absolutely no plans of selling it.

I was just trying to find out about this very cool family heirloom.

I was hoping to figure out what year it was made it, but from what I'm figuring out the closest I can get is the decade (1931-1940).

It's in good (not great) condition, just needs a good cleaning.

I'm trying to decide if I should shoot it or not. Any thoughts?

Sure. Fire away. Assuming it's in working condition, they are very serviceable shotguns. Without s aerial number, which it almost certainly doesn't have, you'll not have any way of finding out the date of manufacture. I have an Ithaca double from the same era that I've shot cases of shells through.