FNP-40 First Impressions

Picked up a NIB FNP-40, I've seen a lot of comparisons with this handgun to a like-caliber Sig p229. Aesthetically I personally prefer the look of the FNP more, and the price helps too.

We haven't fired the handgun yet, weather was bad, so bad in fact that, yesterday, the BG check systems were down in our neck of the woods here in Dickson. Had to wait until today to finalize the gun sale.

My initial impressions.

Pros -

Very light, just under 24oz with the mag.

Easy to field strip, similar to my XdM. Lock the slide back, flip the slide lock (down, instead of up like on an XdM), release the slide and it's apart.

Ambi Manual de-cocker and safety, we opted for the de-cocker+ safety model.

Nice trigger, granted we haven't put rounds down range, but with snap caps the trigger is smooth throughout. 10 lb Double-action pull, transitions to a 3.5 lb single action pull.

Nice visible three dot sights.

Cons -

I don't really like the mag release, it is reversible, for lefties, but the actual release button sits a little too low in the grip for my liking. It really takes some leverage/pressure to release the mag in order for it not to stick while ejecting.

Even with my big hands I have to adjust my hand uncomfortably to get enough leverage for a sure release of the mag. I expect, with time, that this release will come easier, IMO an extended mag release would instantly fix this for me. (I've heard of people sanding down the area around the release to give the button a little more extension, could be a future option).

14+1 rounds, isn't that big of a downer, but it seems like the norm these days is 15+1, and my XdM being 16+1 obviously takes the cake for capacity. The grip is shorter for the FNP though, so you could call it a trade off.

Overall I think we're gonna be happy with this guy. NIB this system includes a lockable carry case, 3 14+1 mags, locking system, and two types (2) of back straps. No Bore brush though...

Here's a few Pics, probably have more during/after we shoot it.

f6aa864f.jpg

cc143082.jpg

12bb356e.jpg

00ab3c1f.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic