Multiple Duck Hunting Questions

Alright, the freemasons off Charlotte are offerin' the TWRA hunter ed course at the end of the month, and I've been eyein' a shotgun at NSA that would be great for hunting, so it looks like I'm startin' to run out of excuses that keep me from hunting. I've always thought ducks looked tasty, and I know I don't like turkey, so I figure I'll get into duck hunting. First of all, I need to know about a shotgun company called Tradewinds. It's the company that makes the 12 gauge I'm eyein' and I can't find hardly anything about 'em online. Secondly I need to what kind of expenses to expect between the licenses I'll need to get, and what kind of equipment I'll need to buy for duck hunting. Lastly I just need what the good spots are for duck hunting (lakes, obviously, but I was hoping for some more specific answers). Also any tips on dressing and preparing ducks would certainly be appreciated. I don't plan on huntin' for trophy or sport, just for food.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting into duck hunting in my opinion is pretty expensive. Shotguns must be plugged, cammo, calls, decoys, state and federal licenses, time afield.....alot for something that taste like chicken liver in my opinion. They don't taste all that great to me, and Bologna taste better than wild turkey. Setting in a duck blind at 10 degrees F....waiting for one stupid duck to fly over so all eight people in the blind can open up their barrage of anti aircraft fire on that one poor little duck just don't appeal to me. If you're looking to bust into hunting, give squirrel (spring season opens in May) and deer hunting a try. Best place to duck hunt is where there is water...that's about it. As far as food? Don't go hungry...hunt deer and squirrel! Save duck hunting for when you are experienced!

I have never heard of a shotgun called or made by "Tradewinds". Which ever shotgun you choose, it must be plugged to limit it to three shots. That's probably why 5 guys in a duck blind shoot at one little duck all at the same time...5 hunters x 3 shells each equal 15 shots to bring down said duck.

You will need a boat, waders, decoys, calls, good cold weather cammo clothing, heater for your blind, ect., ect., ect..

Tennessee Hunting license, state migratory bird permit, federal duck stamp and if you hunt a WMA, a WMA waterfowl permit (trust me, deer hunting is cheaper).

Don't forget, one of those little duck decals for the back window of your truck.

That's about all I can remember about my duck hunting days (many moons ago).

Good Hunting!

Dave

PS: Steel shot ain't cheap!

Edited by wd-40

I forgot to mention, that most WMAs open to duck hunting is by Draw only. If you get drawn for a blind, great! If not, well.....

Hunting 101 said it all....find someone to go with to see if you like it or not before you spend a ton on equipment.

For the money spent, and time afield to produce any meat worth bragging about, deer hunting can't be beat. Price per pound of good venison is a much better deal than price per pound for duck.

Just my honest opinion!

Edited by wd-40

I encourage you to give it a try. You only live once.

For me and many hunters it is not as much about the meat as it is the adventure. As far as equipment: I suggest you stick to a name brand shotgun - Remington, Mossburg, Beretta (the 391 at Walmart is a great buy), Benelli. Get plenty of practive shooting skeet or sporting clays. I also recommend you spring for a few shooting lessons. For your first several trips go with friends who know what they are doing or with a guide. You will need the proper clothes and boots; your friends or guide will be able to tell you what you need. By going with friends, who know what they are doing, or with a guide you will not have to buy all the other equipment and you will the learn the skills required to be a successful hunter. I wish you the best in your adventure!!!

Thanks for the responses so far, I was hoping the expenses involved in duck hunting wouldn't be what they are. I'm still gonna take the TWRA course, and get the shotgun. I figure I can drop some clays with it until the duck hunting time comes. As far as this shotgun goes, Tradewinds was the importer. If my research is right (which is flimsy at best) it might be an early model Franchi autoloader. It appears to look almost identical to what I've seen of the modern models, other then some beautiful scrollwork on the reciever. As far as the duck hunting, I'm sure there's some kind of small bird I can hunt that's not so expensive to do. Quail or pheasent or something like that. I don't know what it is about small birds but those guys sure are tasty.

Oh, and as far as the boat goes, I've had plans to someday learn woodworking and build my own Viking longboat for my carcass to be set out to sea and burned in, so in a few decades I'll have that part covered.

Duck hunting is great. You can cook eggs and bacon and sausage and chili and all kinds of other great food while you sit in the blind. You can run heaters to keep warm, drink beer and whiskey and shoot tons of shells at a few ducks, in the event you somehow hit one, then don't worry, the guide will send the dog to get it and he will clean it for you or send it off to be mounted or, more likely toss it in the back of his pickup till the end of season. You don't even have to hunt at all. You can just tell your wife you are going on a duck hunting trip with your buddies, stay up drinking all night and sleep all day. Tell her the birds weren't there when you come home empty handed.

I am sure there are serious duck hunters and weekend warriors that enjoy the hunting part. There are another huge mass of wealth alcoholics that bond in duck blinds. The couple of times I tried it, I hated it. It's not for everyone, and it's tough hunting if you are serious about it. Finding a devoted duck hunter to buy gas in exchange for a trip would be the best route.

BINGO!!!!! Whiskey has duck hunted before!!!!

I have even found ducks laying on the side of the road, where they fell off of vehicles or whatever. If you kill, eat it....don't do it for sport or adventure......you'll go hungry!

I loved duck hunting. I just don't recommend it to a first time hunter!

Edited by wd-40

I was bringing up duck hunting because I was in the process of getting a shotgun that was pretty much perfect for it. I went in to get it, and instead I just had to get the double barrel coach gun. Since I don't have the shotgun that would be great to use for it, I don't feel the need to imediately get into duck hunting. Especially with all the other expenses I have recently discovered were involved.